Blog

Top 5 worst (women’s) fashion trends on campus

It’s the first semester of the school year, and you know what that means: new students, new classes, new professors and of course, new fashion trends.

After four years at Cal State Long Beach, I have seen my fair share of amazing fashion trends, as well as the not-so-amazing ones. However, why dwell on the past?

Instead I put my people watching skills to work, and compiled a list of some awful fashion trends that I have seen thus far this semester. Don’t act like you don’t do this yourself.

Leggings as Pants

Dear girl walking in front of me wearing leggings and a crop top: Unfortunately for you and myself, I can see your underwear. This seems to be a popular trend here on campus, so ladies repeat after me, “LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS!” They are made of thinner fabric such as cotton or nylon. Thus, a pair covers up less and tends to be very revealing when stretched out or exposed to the sun. So next time you put on a pair of leggings, make sure to wear a longer shirt at the least.

Pajamas to class

I only have one quick thing to say about this, so write it down, it is called a C-L-A-S-S-R-O-O-M, not your bedroom. 

UGGs

Now you may be wondering, why is this trend not part of pajamas to class? Well to answer your question, I have seen countless people wearing UGGs with jeans and shorts on campus, sigh. Okay, I admit, I do own a pair of UGGs myself. However, I only wear them around the house or during finals week when I am still awake at 3 a.m. and running to the nearest 711 to grab some snacks that I’ll probably regret eating later that day. Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is do not wear UGGs on campus. Simply put, they’re UGG-ly

Carrying a backpack AND a purse

This is probably one of the oddest trends I have seen this semester. Every time I see a student walk into the classroom with a backpack on their back and a small purse hanging from their shoulder, I think to myself, why don’t you just put your purse in your backpack? It’s such a simple solution to the redundancy.

Club attire to class

I understand some people want to get dressed up and look cute for class. “Dress to impress” is most likely what they are thinking when putting on their bandage dresses, skin-tight mini skirts and 6-inch heels. Well, I’m not impressed. Instead I am uncomfortable imagining how much pain your feet are in after walking all over campus in those heels. 

Now, if you are guilty of committing one of the fashion don’ts, do not fret. It’s still the beginning of the semester, and you can quit now! My advice to you is the next time you are getting ready to head to campus, think before you dress. You never know who’s people-watching you.