Blog

The first presidential debate, social media and memes!

Oct. 3 was a notable meme day. “Mean Girls” aficionados saluted the Plastics’ Pink Day, significant others celebrated National Boyfriend Day and Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney specifically said he’d oust Big Bird and funding for PBS to cut the federal deficit.

The 40 million viewers who tuned in to the first 2012 presidential debate instantly made #twotermz and Romney Gangnam Style viral posts, as well as other brewing memes. A shot could have been taken for every time President Barack Obama said “trillion” or how often Romney blinked his eyes.

With elections in 32 days, the final countdown has been heating up on Twitter and Facebook feeds. Here are some of the social media updates from those who tuned in to last night’s debate.

“‏Obama the creator vs asap romney 2nite”@Diplo

“America deserves better.” said the Presidential candidate who doesn’t know Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is a #1 rated show” – @DamienFahey

“Obama should get out the youth vote by going to a Grizzly Bear concert.” – @Fchimero (Frank Chimero)

“WTF Mitt Romney… :(” – @BigBird

“Is romney debating jim lehrer now? #debates” -Todd Kane

“The presidential debate didn’t just set a record, it slowed down Twitter” -@TheNextWeb

“If the altitude in Denver was Obama’s issue, maybe we should have the next debate in some place low, like the employment rate.” @StevenAmiri

As much as people are making jokes about Romney, Obama and moderator Jim Lehrer, hopefully November’s election will be taken seriously.

The last day to register to vote is Oct. 22, according to the California Secretary of State website. Don’t procrastinate and #49erVote2012!