Blog

AFI FEST Nov. 1-8

American Film Institute, known for its Top 100 films of all time, which include Citizen Kane and Forrest Gump, also has a film fest in Los Angeles in the fall. 

Some popular films in the past have included Blue Valentine and We Need to Talk About Kevin.

According to associate director of programming Lane Kneedler, AFI FEST has showcased films in LA since 1987. A previous festival FILMEX started in 1971.

“After so many years, there have been many changes, and we have had the festival in every part of town and every part of the calendar year at one point or another since 1971.”

“One constant thing that the festival has always been committed to is to bringing international cinema to the audience here in LA. The function of festivals has changed dramatically over the years, but this town’s thirst for the best-in-world cinema has been constant,” added Kneedler.

Laurence Anyways, Nairobi Half Life, Pearblossom Hwy, Somebody Up There Likes Me and Ape are some films that will be showcased at AFI Fest 2012 from Nov. 1-8.

Laurence Anyways (Canada, France; dir. Xavier Dolan) is a French Canadian Felliniesque drama about clashing of lifestyles from Laurence’s gender change. Though he and his old flame are heterosexual soul mates, they eventually take the front seat for a rollercoaster ride of their lives. Just like in life, we put on many hats. Click here for more info.

Somebody Up There Likes Me (USA; dir. Bob Byington) is a lighthearted comedy about a man and the loss of his significant others through extramarital affairs and death. Life flashes before your eyes like never before seen. Click here for more info.

Ape (USA; dir. Joel Potrykus) gives us a glimpse into the sad life of standup comedian Trevor who doesn’t get the laughs and gets hits with arts’ downside. Instead, he has to make a pact with the devil himself to sell his soul. Click here for more info.

Pearblossom Hwy (USA; dir. Mike Ott) is Tarnation meets Reality Bites. The main character battles through unique speech tendencies as he videotapes his rock and roll life with his Marine brother and prostitute friend. Click here for more info.

Nairobi Half Life (Kenya, Germany; dir. David Tosh Gitonga)is a breakthrough selection that tells the good and evil of Mwa’s pursuit of becoming an actor, even if it means pillaging villages and seeing your friends die. This is beyond what you see in Hollywood. Click here for more info.