Blog

Social work grad student POV: Election Results

The election results will affect older adults and their families by protecting the level of care and assistance this population has become accustomed to over the last four years.

Now that President Barack Obama is able to stay in the office another four more years, health care is protected and ensure.

According to Robert Berenson, if Gov. Mitt Romney became president instead, health care would be reduced for the people.

“Governors who now stridently oppose Medicaid expansions will almost surely moderate their views under pressure from providers and businesses who want their states to take advantage of the federal largess found in the ACA to reduce uncompensated care” (Berenson, 2012 p.667).  Obamacare would have been abandoned, rather than having real policy implementation of the future. This means that collectively, healthcare management will be more accessible and affordable for those who have traditionally been denied these services.

Affordable Care Act (ACA) was placed by President Obama and approved by the Supreme Court. Though the ACA many uninsured individuals are able to obtain Medicaid and Medicare. More than 30 million people would have insurance with ACA.

Obama is attempting to involve as many professionals to this act in order to maintain balance.

He fought hard for formation of the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB) to address the inordinate influence of stakeholder interests in Congressional decisions over Medicare. A group of 15 nonpartisan experts is responsible for developing payment and related Medicare policy changes to assure that Medicare spending does not exceed budget targets tied to economic growth” (Berenson, 2012, p.667).

With Obama’s reelection, social security is standing on solid ground.

Social service implementation will be a little stronger as more service oriented to reach the scope of people in need throughout the country.