Blog

Policy class POV: Obama’s reelection

President Barack Obama was reelected in November’s general election because of his stand on health care reform, investment in education and the auto industry bailout, among other important issues.

However, his victory brings something much more: a sense that we are all in this together as a society, no matter who we are, or how we live our lives.

President Obama promises to bring forth an array of social programs, regulations and changes in order to continue the sense of unity and hope that Americans struggle to hold on to in such harsh economic conditions,

It is crucial that Americans understand the impact President Obama’s re-election will have on social welfare policies.

However, the first struggle for many citizens is the arduous path to gaining membership into the middle class, as well as the overall growth of the economy.

President Obama’s recent initiative Community College to Career Fund will establish nationwide partnerships with businesses to train 2 million workers.

Increased resources would be allocated to community colleges to become community career centers.  This will ultimately provide more individuals with access to learn necessary skills and gain credentials towards a career.

President Obama’s initiative to train more workers for  jobs may have positive future implications for the current divide in the labor market.

Similarly, President Obama plans to continue the availability of work with the creation of the American Jobs Act to create more jobs by providing considerable tax cuts for employers who hire unemployed persons, including veterans.  

His plan also includes an attempt to prohibit employers from discriminating against the currently unemployed and expanding unemployment insurance.  

The idea is that this will help those affected by unemployment to remain best prepared to find a job in the future President Obama also plans to prevent layoffs of those 280,000 jobs that have been at risk, such as teachers and police officers. Each of these factors combined have provided President Obama with the confidence that we can be successful in reducing the unemployment rate.

His controversial social work program the Affordable Care Act, known amongst pundits as “Obama Care,” will guarantee health insurance coverage for nearly all Americans.

President Obama will also grant undocumented immigrants driver licenses.

Even though these social welfare programs have not been implemented yet, they bring up numerous debates. We do not fully know the unintended effects that any of the above programs will create.

In order to understand the potential effects these policies will have on each of us, we must consider these possible unintended outcomes while simultaneously reflecting on the importance of providing jobs, healthcare and several other resources to those in need.

The recent reelection of President Obama ultimately signaled the irreversible triumph of a new multiracial, multi-ethnic, global outlook that moves beyond centuries of racial, sexual, marital and religious tradition 21st century America.  

President Obama summarized the progressive, new American value in his speech.

“I believe we can keep the promise of our founders, the idea that if you’re willing to work hard, it doesn’t matter who you are or where you come from or what you look like or where you love.  It doesn’t matter whether you’re black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try,” said Obama.