Blog

Student quirks during finals

Students appear out of the woodwork during finals week to prove their knowledge from the semester. The incredibly odd student habits, also known as studying, fully come out. Here are the top five ridiculous behaviors of students leading up to finals.

1. Group studying aka group socializing

As students fill up the library, tables become stacked with chairs and coffee cups pile on top of piles of books that remain closed. On top of all that, music is playing, people are singing along and the books still remain closed. However, the students are supposedly studying. Don’t forget last spring’s finals when everyone was dancing on tables. What an ace performance at Club Lib, and I don’t mean academically.

2. Staying awake

Drug dealers are in full business as the most unsuspecting of students abuse Adderall, Ritalin and 5-hour Energy. Students stay up for 24 hours at a time and self-medicate to stay awake.

3. The library

As done with drugs, students abuse Club Lib the most. All of a sudden, strangers who have never known the library existed show up to study. Now it’s survival of the fittest between the late bloomers and responsible students for a spot in the library. If you are claustrophobic, I suggest you find an alternative study area, such as underneath Walter Pyramid or at a local coffee shop.

4. The Starbucks line

Not only are both Starbucks on campus busy every morning, but during finals, it is like Black Friday all over again. A coffee becomes the hottest commodity. So those of us who just want a water cup and muffin can stuff our faces with our books or crumbs on the floor.

5. Facebook

As finals week drags on, Facebook becomes the whiniest person I’ve ever met. Instead of studying, people like to post about the difficulties of studying. Maybe it’s time to give your confidant your password.

It’s getting close to the finale of fall 2012. It’s safe to say finals week is like the apocalypse, which is conveniently a few weeks away. So stock up on pills, caffeine, water and adult diapers. Beware of zombies coming out of the library, and don’t forget the light at the end of the tunnel called winter break (or for those graduating, freedom)!