Blog

Finals Survival Guide: Read and learn

It’s that time of year again. No, not Christmas, but the long nights and short sleeping periods that accompany finals week.

Before you overwhelm yourself with the notion of crunch time, take a quick read to find out what will help your studying tactics. The key here is work smart, not hard.

Peppermint

Gnaw on some candy canes to prevent yourself from liking everyone’s Facebook statuses. Peppermint will help you focus while studying. Studies show that peppermint has the capability to increase blood flow to the brain, increasing concentration power. It totally beats buying expensive focus pills.

Play-Doh

It’s mushy, colorful and irresistibly hard to not play with it. Playing with clay while studying can elevate and stimulate your senses without being too distracting. Plus, you can use it like a stress ball.

Puppies

John and Jon have taken the next step in adorable studying tactics as done with other campuses like UCLA. Pet your study buddies at the University Student Union’s West Patio on Wednesday, Dec. 12. So when you feel like you can’t look at another flash card, take a break and with a therapy dog.

Caffeine tablets

Caffeine tablets are an alternative to purchasing the sugary, fatty, and expensive Starbucks lattes and achieve the same result. If you are desperate, run along to your local pharmacy store and snag a bottle of these, but use in moderation. This remedy is not intended for the weak.

Brain foods

Long nights at the library will most likely lead to a quick run to the convenience store. Resist the urge to get chips, cookies or any fatty foods. Unhealthy snacks will make you feel sluggish and slow your brain. Instead, reach for some good old brain food to keep you focused and energized. Try grapes, nuts, yogurt, granola, popcorn, crackers and cheese, please.

Rosemary Herb

Ancient Greek and Roman scholars used to wear sprigs of rosemary around their heads. It wasn’t to look like the great Cesar, but to enhance their studying techniques. Studies show that the smell of rosemary alone stimulates the brain and is a huge staple in enhancing your memory. A lovely rosemary tea or incense will do you well, ladies and gents.

Wake Up Dialer (wakeupdialer.com)

We must prepare even for the impossible when it comes to finals week. Say your alarm clock doesn’t go off, or you just forget to set it. Have no fear, Wake Up Dialer is here. Enter your phone number and the time you would like to be woken up, and a delightful caller will call and make sure you’re up when you’re supposed to be.

Chewing gum

Instead of cramming material in the last few minutes before your final, pop a piece of sugar-free gum and relax. According to the Education Option website, chewing gum five minutes prior to an exam improves your test scores. Just remember to spit it out before you actually take the exam.