Blog

Myth and truths about Norway from an international student

As a Norwegian international student at Cal State Long Beach, I’ve seen all of the similarities and differences between Southern California and my little snowy country in Northern Europe.

It is finally time for me to break down some of the myths Americans have about Norway after four months here. It may be finals week, but here is a lecture about my country.

Myth No. 1: It’s always cold in Norway

Truth: An average Norwegian summer day, which takes place the same months as in the U.S., reaches temperatures from 70 to 77 ºF. That’s not much different from a Long Beach winter.

In fact, Norway’s hottest day in history was in the small city of Nesbyen at 96 ºF in 1970.

Myth No. 2: Polar bears walk the streets in Norway as we speak

Truth: A Polar bear is not a common animal to spot in Norway’s cities. However, the huge predator does lurk around in the outskirts.

A 17-year-old died after being attacked by a Polar bear during a camping trip last year in the northern city of Svalbard.

Although bear attacks are rare, it can be compared Southern California’s coastal shark attacks. The ocean and woods are not dangerous, but the predators are still out there, lurking.

Myth No. 3: Norway and Sweden are the same place

Truth: Norway and Sweden are two separate countries. However, both were in one union called The United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway until 1905.

The Norwegians eventually thought to themselves, “Damn it, let’s break out of Sweden and become our own country.”

Myth No. 4: The first European who discovered America was a Norwegian Viking

Truth: Yes, Christopher Columbus was not the first European to cross the Atlantic Ocean and discover America. Viking Leiv Eriksson arrived in Northern America with is crew around the year 1000. Although he did not completely know where he was, he landed in present-day Newfoundland.

Myth No. 5: Long Beach is too big of a city

Truth: If compared to a U.S. state, Norway would be New Mexico, and then some. If Long Beach were in Norway, it would be the second largest city after the capital Oslo.