Dalai lama to visit LB Convention Center

The dalai lama will address the 20th annual Governor and First Lady’s Conference on Women at the Long Beach Convention Center on Sept. 26. It is the first time the dalai lama will address a women’s conference.

In early August, California first lady Maria Shriver traveled to North India and met with the dalai lama to formally invite him to the conference. According to press releases by the conference, themes he will address are “encouraging women in attendance to be mindful of the interconnectedness to all things, to practice compassion with confidence and courage and to balance their fast-paced, busy lives through inner reflection.”

After a 30-minute speech set to begin at 5 p.m., the dalai lama will take questions from the audience and then lead the crowd through a meditation exercise.

Over 11,000 people are expected to attend the sold-out conference. Shriver announced portions of the conference, themed “Connect Today. Seize Tomorrow,” will be broadcasted across the country. According to a press release issued Sept. 1, the conference will be available through cable TV broadcasts, free podcasts and free streaming live webcasts.

“The goal of the conference is to inspire all Californians to be architects of change, whether it’s in their homes, their communities or their state,” Shriver said.