$1.6 million granted to youth career programs

The Pacific Gateway Workforce Investment Network will be giving $1.6 million in grants to six youth career academies in the greater Long Beach area.       

The grant will be contributing a portion to CSULB’s Upward Bound program, an organization that has been assisting students for 36 years. The money will assist low-income or academically disadvantaged youths by providing exposure to internships, volunteer opportunities and other work-based experiences.       

Upward Bound’s portion of the grant is still under negotiation, but the program will receive the funding through June 2010.      

The six academies receiving the grants will assist students in completing their education to helping with job applications, training, and general information.       “Youth can be changed through education, experience, and employment,” said Bryan Rodger, Executive Director of Pacific Gateway. “It is essential that we reach youths where they live and our youth academies will provide valuable contact and services.       

Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families, to first generation college students and first-generation military veterans, in order to provide support in their preparation for college entrance.       “I’m grateful for the grant to allow us to continue working with students in assisting them to go to a university of their choice,” said Phillip Humphreys, director of Upward Bound since 2002.       

Upward Bound’s goal is to increase the rate at which students complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education and trying to send 90 percent of their students onto higher education.       

“The students participate in a variety of activities such as visits to universities in Northern and Southern California,” he said. “Our students make better-informed decisions based on these trips about what campuses best fit their learning styles and which campuses offer their best majors or career options.”       

The funds were granted to the academies as a strategy to link education and experience to prepare young persons for success in fast growing career pathways. Some of these targeted fields include, healthcare, science related occupations, hospitality and tourism, retail and culinary arts.       

The six academies–ACCORD/Community; Upward Bound Program, California State University, Long Beach Foundation; Centro CHA (Community Hispanic Association, Inc.); Goodwill, Serving the People of Southern Los Angeles County; Los Angeles Unified School District; and Occupational Therapy Training Program, Special Service for Groups – were chosen to receive the grant by the Workforce Investment Board of youth council.