5.4 quake shakes L.A. area

At approximately 11:42 a.m. Tuesday morning and earthquake started in the L.A. area and rippled through Southern California.

According to the U.S. Geological Survery the quake had a magnitude of 5.4. The epicenter of the earthquake at latitude +33 degrees 57 minutes, 18 seconds and longitude -117 degrees 45 minutes, 54 seconds which is near Chino Hills State Park.

Four subsequent earthquakes, aftershocks, followed over the next ten minutes. The aftershocks ranged from magnitudes of 2.8 to 3.8.

The buildings at Cal State Long Beach were checked for damages by University Police and maintenance staff.

According to Rick Gloady, CSULB media relations director, people left on their own.

“When it hit, most people evacuated,” Gloady said. “It was a pretty big jolt.”

Gloady said that the buildings had been cleared and people were able to go back inside, but more internal checks would be conducted.

TEAM SAFE-T.org

What Communities Should Know: Earthquakes

Earthquake season is year-round in the state of California. The more prepared the entire community is in the event of a disaster, the more advantages we all have rebounding from future catastrophes. Every family needs to:

• Prepare:
    o A Family Disaster Supplies Kit that includes enough of the following items to last your family to 3-5 days:
    o A Grab and Go Pack that includes extras of medications, and copies of family and tax documents, and a short list of key or sentimental items to take.

• Plan:
    o Create an Evacuation Plan with two escapes routes from your dwelling and neighborhood (include contingencies (e.g. night vs. day, car vs. foot)
    o An Emergency Meeting Place, in case an evacuation takes place during the day and family members are dispersed.
    o Discuss a Family Contact Plan, with names and daytime phone numbers of family members, neighbors/relatives and out-of-state contacts and designate a “family point person” whom all family members call or text during emergencies.

• Practice:
    o Discuss each plan and drill regularly. Each and every member of the family should know what they are to do and to expect others to do in times of emergency. When shaking starts, DROP, seek COVER and HOLD ON to something secure.
    o Regularly check smoke detectors, tie-down heavy objects and clear and secure water heaters in your dwelling.

• Working together with the California Governor’s Offices of Emergency Services, Homeland Security and your local emergency responders, Team SAFE-T is committed to encouraging students, families and community members to bear responsibility for personal safety, and the safety of our communities.

• For more information on how to prepare and plan for emergencies in your home or community, and mitigate earthquake hazards and SECURE your SPACE please visit the California Office of Emergency Services Web site (www.oes.ca.gov) or the Team SAFE-T Web site (www.TeamSAFE-T.org) to access evacuation plans, checklists, and resources available in your area.