An eco-friendly University by the Sea

University by the Sea provided environmental classes and encouraged people to find eco-friendly transportation to the event in an effort to make downtown Long Beach “greener.” 

University by the Sea had free valet parking for those who rode their bicycles to the event. People had the opportunity to attend a composting workshop and explore organic gardens.  

Separate trash and recycling bins were placed at street corners and in front of shops. Biodegradable food containers made from 100 percent post-consumer material were provided. 

Traveling Recycling Education Center set up an interactive display to introduce children to recycling and resource conservation. 

The University by the Sea fashion contest featured eco-friendly wedding dresses and accessories constructed from recycled, used or found materials. Jane Henry designed “Loofah Bride,” a dress made from bath loofahs and recycled men’s pants. 

Tree People, a nonprofit organization, hosted the urban foresting and tree planting class sponsored by the Long Beach Redevelopment Agency and Keesal, Young and Logan. Tree People consists of staff and volunteers who plant trees in Los Angeles communities. 

Tree People teamed up with University by the Sea to plant 34 trees in downtown Long Beach. The class explained how to properly plant a tree and the important role of trees to help reduce carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere. Students worked together to carefully transfer trees into the sidewalks along Third Street and Elm Avenue. 

Algalita Marine Research Foundation provided a booth with information on its studies of the impact of plastics on the ocean. The research foundation takes samples from the North Pacific Gyre, a vortex extending from the coast of California to the coast of Japan that has accumulated 46 pounds of plastic to one pound of plankton. 

Algalita Marine Research Foundation displayed a raft built from 15,000 plastic bottles that had sailed from California to Hawaii to raise awareness of the trash polluting the ocean. The foundation encourages using less plastic and provided examples of sustainable water bottles and free reusable grocery bags recycled from T-shirts.