Student pleads not guilty to weapons charges

Cal State Long Beach student Gregory Mitre pled not guilty to two felony charges at the Long Beach Superior Court House on Oct. 10.  Anthony Salerno made an appearance as Mitre’s private attorney. 

The court ordered Mitre to appear again on Nov. 7 for an early dispositional hearing. 

Mitre was arrested after University Police observed people handling paintball guns at Parkside Commons on Sept. 23, University Police Chief Stan Skipworth said.  

Skipworth said 18-year-old Mitre was singled out by University Police and arrested and booked at the Long Beach Police Department because he was the owner and provider of the paintball guns. 

According to an e-mail from Sgt. Scot Willey, University Police later discovered throwing stars, steel throwing cards, knives and daggers in Mitre’s posession.  Skipworth said police found 13 knives and daggers. 

“[Mitre] basically told us he had the stuff,” Skipworth said, describing how police discovered the weapons, which weren’t on Mitre when he was first caught. 

According to a court document, Mitre was charged with one count of possession of a weapon and one count of possession of a knife on university grounds.  His bail, set at $20,000, was posted on Sept. 26. 

Mitre’s roommate, Sean Peterson, a junior industrial design major, declined to comment on the incident. 

In a separate incident, another CSULB student was booked for possession of a dangerous weapon and possession of a weapon on university grounds. 

According to Willey’s e-mail, University Police were notified Sept. 28 of a possible fight in a dorm room at Residence Commons.  After investigating the scene, University Police arrested Dylan McNeal, 18, after discovering a fixed blade and an airsoft replica Glock gun, which had its fluorescent tip missing, and charged him with one count of possession of a dangerous weapon and possession of a weapon on state university grounds. 

The Los Angeles District Attorney declined to file charges against McNeal due to insufficient evidence, said Jane Robinson, news secretary for the district attorney’s office. 

“Weapons are strictly not allowed in the halls,” said Stan Olin, CSULB housing director. 

Olin said this includes anything that simulates a weapon. 

University Police have expressed particular concern over the use of objects that replicate a gun. 

Skipworth said that over the last 25-plus years police and third parties encounter people with fake, toy or replica guns perceived as a threat.  As a result, police sometimes shoot at the perceived threats, which sometimes resulted in death.

We are asking for those living in the dorms and those visiting the campus to cease from bringing any replica, toy or real weapons as they not only violate State Law and University regulations, but they endanger the lives of all who attend this University community,” said Willey in an e-mail.