‘Legacy’ fee increase breakdown

The chart (right) breaks down the costs of a full-time undergraduate student for fall semester in 2009 and shows the differences in charges for fall 2010. If the Beach Legacy Referendum passes students will be charged $95 per semester starting in fall 2010.

The $110 fee for the Student Recreation and Wellness Center will be implemented in the same year. The total difference in cost per semester is $205, if the Beach Legacy Referendum passes. However, this number is subject to change if the Cal State University Board of Trustees decides to increase state university fees.

The campus community is invited to a presentation of the Beach Legacy Referendum presented by Wayne Stickney, Alex Goldberg and Jeff Greenwood, who created the Facebook page for Beach Legacy.

The presentation will be in the Pyramid Annex Conference Center next to the Walter Pyramid from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. So far, 105 Facebook members have confirmed their attendance to the presentation, including various student athletes.

The presenters will open the discussion to questions from the audience about the referendum.

not a good time for this! as the person above states, tuition is going to go up and the Rec Center fee will kick in next year. Athletics should wait until the Rec Center is paid for.

CSU landlord

You know we will absolutely get a 10 percent tuition increase this fall. Add to that that the state is going to raise sales taxes, gas taxes and breathing taxes. It might not be a good time to squander other students futures on a soccer stadium. But then again, we’re not at The Beach to learn about responsibility and leadership, are we?

How pathetic. I’d understand fee increases if it went towards something practical… like creating more class sections. But why am I being forced to pay $205 for a Wellness Center and upgrades for athletics? I don’t participate in sports and I already have a gym membership. Given the economic crisis, our state going bankrupt, and the substantial budget cuts.. a fee increase because of athletics and recreation seems like such a waste of money when we have far more important things to worry about. I hate to think how much my tuition could rise if the Board of Trustees decides to increase fees as well.

The presentation is today (Tuesday) from 5 to 6.

what day is the presentation?