Fashion show helps St. Jude hospital

The Fashion For Life event is bringing Tri Delta, formally known as Delta Delta Delta, one-step closer to their $10 million donation goal that will help fund a new floor in the hospital.

Tri Delta hopes to raise $10 million in 10 years, with each chapter trying to raise $60,000.

“In 2005 we started our 10 in 10,” said Tri Delta President Amanda Pallach.

By 2008, the sorority had raised a total of $5.6 million.

Students gathered in front of the USU Ballroom to pay the admission fee of $4 or $5, depending on whether they wore Cal State Long Beach attire, in exchange for a bracelet that represented a patient. One read “Shalea, “Acute Lymphoblastic, Leukemia, 3 Years Old.”

The event attracted both Greek and non-Greek students.

When students and families entered the ballroom, they were greeted with blaring, up beat music similar to that of a club mix.

The fashion show was short and sweet. Members from CSULB’s fraternities and Pan-Hellenic sororities modeled jeans from designers like William Rast, Rock and Republic, and Miss Sixty, which were sold later that night at discounted prices. Portions of the profits are being donated to St. Jude’s.

“We’re still starting to sell the jeans but there’s a really good turnout,” Pallach said. “We had more than last year so that’s good … We got a lot of support from the Greek fraternities and I know there’s a lot of students and families here, so that’s great.”

In addition to selling designer jeans, jewelry and accessories were also available for purchase.

“It’s exciting, I love being at these kind of events, and hearing feedback about our headbands and spreading the word about our product,” said Erika Ewers, co-owner of Glam Headbands.