Vandalism suspected as an act of rivalry

The statue of Cal State Long Beach’s mascot, located on Upper Campus, was vandalized early Wednesday morning.

Orange paint was found dripping down the right side of the 49er statue, known as Prospector Pete. Although the sculpture that personifies the 49er spirit was dumped upon, the culprit was not so sly about discarding the evidence.

A Starbucks cup containing remnants of the paint was found close by. As well, the customer’s name was scribbled in pen on the outside of the cup.

Grounds and Landscaping Service workers discovered the damage around 6:15 a.m., according to the University Police.

“I’d say it will take two to three guys, two to three hours and $200 to $300 to clean up,” said Brian McKinnon, the CSULB Grounds and Landscaping Services manager.

McKinnon said he suspects the vandal could be the doing of someone associated with Cal State University Fullerton, whose colors are orange and blue. CSUF hosted a basketball game against the 49er team last night, which is considered by many a rivalry game.

University Police agreed. “We’re led to believe it may have been some kind of a college rivalry,” said Fernando Solorzano, captain of the University Police.

As of now the statue is clean and has no permanent damage. CSUF has not yet been contacted but it is under investigation.

Too bad the crime scene tape wasn’t for Pete’s homicide. We’ll smoke you at Anaheim.
    ————————————————————————————————————————————–
    LOL @ this Foolerton homer!

75-74! Beach slapped!

Nyar har har! Owned to the max!

dont forget we kicked your ass before this game too!

Hey Foolerton, enjoy your rebuilding season after Akognon graduates! Beach slapped!

Pwned to the max!

Beach 75! Foolerton-74!

I agree with everything below. Its good to see that the rivalry is alive. But man, all i can one spill deserve another. hahaha, the last 30 second were so ironic for FOOLERTON…..GO BEACH!

61-60 @ CS Short Beach

As long as stunts like this are done without anyone getting hurt or there being too much damage, I’m happy to see the rivalry’s alive and well. Go Beach!

William Murderface

The series’ split, fool. See you yokels in Anaheim.

A school I attended used to wrap one of its statues in plastic the week before a rivalry game to prevent this kind of vandalism. I see Fullerton is reduced to defacing property when they can’t win on the court.

75-74

LOL @ CS Foolerton