Orchestra students get jazzed up for festival

Syncopating rhythms and hammering down notes describe Cal State Long Beach’s Concert Jazz Orchestra’s preparations for an upcoming jazz festival.

The CSULB Concert Jazz Orchestra, led by the director of jazz studies, Jeff Jarvis, will make its way back to Monterey, Calif. to compete in the fifth annual Next Generation Jazz Festival, put on by the annual Monterey Jazz Festival.

This year’s festival beginning on April 3 and ending on April 5 looks promising for CSULB’s Jazz Orchestra. The orchestra will bring to Monterey an intricate set list, which they hope will be enough to take first place at this year’s Next Generation Jazz Festival.

If the jazz orchestra can secure a first place spot this year, they will be invited to perform at this year’s 52nd annual Monterey Jazz Festival in September.

The orchestra will perform three pieces of music, including a self-composed piece called “Free Fall,” which Jarvis said is a progressive tune, incorporating frequent time signature changes and an intricate section featuring saxophones. The other two pieces include, “Great Northern Express” and a waltz classic, “Green Dolphin Street.”

Jarvis said his preparation strategy for the festival has always been fairly consistent and acknowledges the idea that considerable effort goes into programming a challenging and stylistically diverse program that will effectively showcase the band and its soloists.

He also stressed the importance of keeping a balanced perspective about competition versus learning.

Last year, the concert jazz orchestra took third place overall in the Next Generation Jazz Festival.

In 2007, after auditioning, receiving an invitation and finally winning a cash prize and first place at the Next Generation Jazz Festival, the CSULB Concert Jazz Orchestra gained a spot at the Monterey Jazz Festival (MJF), part of the perk of winning the Next Generation Jazz Festival.

Jarvis said that both he and the band were very motivated after winning the festival in 2007.

“We were all very excited about the first place award in 2007,” Jarvis said. “I was only in my second year of revitalizing the jazz studies program, so I was thrilled about what our students had accomplished. The win also provided non-musical administrators with a way to measure the growth of the CSULB Jazz Studies program.”

The Next Generation Jazz Festival, coordinated by Rob Klevan, the Montery Jazz Festival education director, showcases performances at the high school and collegiate levels internationally.

Klevan said that the CSULB Concert Jazz Orchestra is a powerhouse ensemble, creating a high level of musicianship across the board.

“By placing as a finalist in the college division at the NGF the past three years, the CSULB jazz ensemble has shown that they are one of the premier college jazz bands in the world,” Klevan said. “Since we only take six college bands each year, this is quite an accomplishment.”

Orchestra members are also geared for a tour they will be embarking upon right before the Next Generation Jazz Festival.

The Concert Jazz Orchestra and Pacific Standard Time, CSULB’s vocal jazz chorus, will present three concerts prior to the competition. They will begin the tour at the Marin County School of the Performing Arts just north of San Francisco. After that performance they look to travel south to play in the San Jose area, ending in Monterey for the Next Generation Jazz Festival.

New to this year’s festival, an additional college vocal jazz division will be added to the competition. Pacific Standard Time, under the direction of Christine Guter, will make an appearance.

Senior jazz studies major and tenor saxophonist, Yiqun Chen, has been a member of the CSULB Concert Jazz Orchestra for four years.

Chen said that they have a good shot at winning this year, but is curious to see how the other bands do.

“I haven’t heard any of the other bands play but I’m willing to bet that USC will be our biggest competition,” Chen said.

Chen has prepared for the festival by taking extra time to study the songs. He said that he wants to have his part solid so he can focus on blending in with the band.

“In rehearsal I really focus on playing with the other saxes as a unit,” Chen said. “I believe that if we are going to be successful at this festival, the band must work as a team.”

The Next Generation Festival will take place in downtown Monterey at the Monterey Conference Center. For more information, please visit the Monterey Jazz Festival website: http://www.montereyjazzfestival.org/2009/NGF/