Tuneful benefit to ‘save music education’

The Kappa Omicron chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity is sponsoring a free concert on campus to benefit Hill Classical Middle School’s music department.

Rafael Arenas, a member of the concert committee and a 2007 Cal State Long Beach graduate in music education and performance will perform at the concert. Some CSULB faculty and Yuki Fujimura, a music teacher from Hill Classical Middle School, will be attending the concert.

The benefit is for the community, said Joe Streitfeld, who has been a fraternity member for the past two years. Streitfeld also hopes that some of the students from the elementary school can attend the concert.

Phi Mu Alpha fraternity is the Hill Classical Middle School’s fraternity, Arenas said. Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia is the largest music fraternity in the country, according to the fraternity’s website. Most students at the middle school are from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, and most families are unable to afford purchasing musical instruments.

“The school desperately needs instruments, stands and music,” Streitfeld said. “In addition to monetary donations, we are also accepting used instruments.”

The school is in need of more musical instruments for families to borrow so pupils can learn how to make music.

“Many students are turned away because they can’t afford to rent an instrument, and the school does not have enough to go around,” Streitfeld said. Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia’s goal is to raise $3,000 from this concert.

The Kappa Omicron chapter performers will be singing three songs at the concert, such as a short set of choir music with a song titled “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen, a few classical works, and cover songs from groups like “Cake,” Streitfeld said.

“We got inspired last year when we were talking about helping a school because the arts are always the first to go when there are budget cuts in education, which is sad to see,” Arenas said.

Streitfeld agreed on the importance of the event because of recent national economic activity.

“Because of the bad economy it is now more important than ever to save music education,” Streitfeld said. “Music is always hurt the most during a recession or budget crisis.”

Phi Mu Alpha was able to raise $2,000 from a similar event last year and through online donations directed to benefit International Elementary School, according to Streitfeld.
Schools tend to cut music first during a budget crisis, Streitfeld said.

“Arts education is critical and is considered vital in the No Child Left Behind Act, yet music education is hurting,” Streitfeld said.

Raising funds for music and music awareness are two main ways that help many programs stay afloat, according to Streitfeld.

“The $2,000 we raised last year for International Elementary School has filled the gap they lost this year in funding from the state,” Streitfeld said.

The concert will be held at the Frank Pooler Room, room A-301, on Saturday at 2 p.m.
Refreshments will be free during the intermission with a donation, according to Streitfeld. There is no minimum amount for anyone to donate at the concert, Streitfeld added.

Associated Students Inc. is sponsoring the concert through grants. The Bob Cole Conservatory of Music donated its choir room for free.

Anyone interested to donate can visit this website, sinfoniahelpmusic.org.