LBIRC invites Gustavo Arellano to Long Beach

Some may wonder why Mexicans insist on fitting 10 people in a car that seats only four or why they sell flowers on street corners and freeway offramps — these are questions Gustavo Arellano has the answers to in his OC Weekly column, “¡Ask A Mexican!”

Arellano answers all questions readers may have about Mexicans, ranging from culture, to beliefs and to one of the most controversial topics today: immigration.

Because of his activism in immigration reform, Arellano was invited to speak at the Long Beach Immigration Rights Coalition (LBIRC) money-raising event this Friday. LBIRC is an organization that pushes for immigration reform.

“It’s also a group of students, staff and community members who helps link immigrants to resources,” said Norma Chinchilla, a CSULB sociology and women’s studies professor and chairperson of the LBIRC.

Although Arellano is not an actual member, he has known about the LBIRC for a long time.

“I wholeheartedly stand in solidarity with them,” Arellano said.

Arellano has received the President’s Award from the Los Angeles Press Club, the Impact Award from National Hispanic Media Coalition and the 2008 Latino Spirit Award from the California State Legislature.

“¡Ask A Mexican!” was only supposed to be a one-time satire, but now has been running for five years and is syndicated in over 35 newspapers, with a circulation of about two million.

“The column has beyond fulfilled my expectations,” Arellano said.

The goal of the column is to talk about the strained relationship Orange County residents have with Mexicans in a humorous way, according to Arellano.

“I take a serious topic and make a joke about it,” he said.

Rather than making fun of the actual subject itself, Arellano aims his satirical comments at the person asking the question and their lack of knowledge.

“Satire’s intent is to target ignorance,” Arellano said. “It’s a powerful tool to combat hate.”

Arellano said he is accustomed to receiving absurd questions and remarks, but a man claiming that illegal immigrants are the ones to blame for California’s water shortage crisis he said, takes the cake as the most mindless question of them all.

“It’s not the Mexicans’ fault that it doesn’t rain in California,” Arellano said. “That was just dumb.”

Although he is most recognizable for his “¡Ask A Mexican!” column, Arellano is also a contributing opinions editor for the Los Angeles Times, but he does not think that his more ‘serious’ work gets as much attention as his satirical work.

Although many critics find “¡Ask A Mexican!” controversial and sometimes offensive, Arellano said he receives virtually no negative feedback.

“I can count on one hand the people who have come up to me and said the column offended them,” Arellano said. “Only racists find the column offensive.”

Chinchilla said she enjoys the controversy in Arellano’s column.

“He’s edgy and controversial,” Chinchilla said. “He’s fun and making social change.”

Arellano’s father was an immigrant. Having grown up in Anaheim, Arellano was always surrounded by illegal immigrants and their issues.

“I can’t tell [the illegal immigrants] apart from the so-called ‘real Americans,’ ” Arellano said.

The main organizers of the event, Chinchilla and Annette Quintero, a postgraduate working on a geographic information systems certificate, chose Arellano to speak at the event because of his ability to educate others about immigration issues using humor.

“If you understand the humor, you are more accepting of the issues,” Quintero said.

Chinchilla was also drawn to Arellano because of his caring nature.

“He cares a lot about the issues and the students,” Chinchilla said.

Quintero also wanted Arellano as a speaker because he appeals to the younger population, making appearances on K-ROQ and “The Colbert Report.”

“He’s a good at getting young people to listen,” Quintero said.

Quintero, who had involved with the LBIRC for two years, became a fan of Arellano after hearing him speak at a college two years ago.

“He’s a very progressive person,” Quintero said.

Quintero reads Arellano’s work regularly, and she admires his ability to make a joke out of serious subjects.

“He has a very sarcastic tone, but he proves his point using strong words that people can understand,” Quintero said.

Arellano said he will speak about the need for immigration reform, his personal experience with immigration, “¡Ask A Mexican!” and his books.

The event will consist of a booking reading and signing by Arellano, followed by music and food.

“We just want to keep it light and fun for a good cause,” Quintero said.

The event will be held at the Unitarian Universalist Church located at 5450 Atherton St. from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Admission for students is $10 and $15 for the general public.

Arellano’s books, “¡Ask A Mexican!” and “Orange County: A Personal History,” will be available for sale at the event.

Judith Aula is a pretty cool guy, eh impersonates ASI candidates (making them lose) and doesn’t afraid of anything

MaryJ/Judith/Aula, I went and saw Gustavo and he totally rocked. You should try it sometime, instead of spewing uninformed rhetoric. His satire spares NOBODY!!!! As he said below, “no sacred cows.”

Let me make a clarification for Judith’s/Jason’s wrongful intonation about “illegal immigrant” he/she so ruefully condemns with his/her pre-conviction/penalty phase of a trial that hasn’t yet occurred en masse. The Fourteenth Amendment to the Bill of Rights due process and equal protection clauses designate the wrongness unless you state “alleged illegal immigrant.” Nobody, immigrant or otherwise, is convicted of breaking a law (hence illegal) until they have been afforded the rights of a trial by a jury of peers. You are only “illegal” after you’ve been convicted of crime in the U.S. You are not “illegal” until the gavel hits the wood, you are the accused — the defendant. The term you use is a catch phrase created to demonize and stereotype for purposes of spreading fear and contempt of an entire group of humans. It doesn’t matter if I blow a cloud of Kronic or belch tequila fumes in a cops face, I am entitled to be arrested, charged, tried and convicted before I am sent to prison for my “illegal” act. It’s never too late to cure yourself of your prejudice.

Gustavo — Would you go to bat so strongly for 20 million Eastern European “gabachos” here illegally? Don’t make us laugh, we know you wouldn’t.

This thread is funny (and telling). Arellano rocks. Whatever your background, if you can’t take a few winks here and there — equally doled out to EVERYONE, which Arellano does, as do all true satirists — it’s my guess that your insecurities don’t make you big enough to chill on the true enchilada that is LIFE. It’s all a mix, man. Jump in. Stand your ground, sure. But, geez, don’t forget to lighten up a bit, too. A healthy sense of humor carries a lot more weight than shouting. And don’t be a brute about your convictions; it ain’t attractive. Hitler tried it, didn’t work out for him. Sure, get real. But there’s no reason to get nasty. The biggest guy or gal in the room is the one most willing to make fun of him- or herself, and to try to genuinely hear where the other person is coming from. We may not always agree (diversity of opinion is downright democracy!). But one who conducts himself or herself with the most COOL, with a touch of real DIGNITY and CLASS, is someone who’s going to be most listened to; because he or she is truly confident in how to make his or her case convincingly and persuasively (try law school). But resorting to low, petty, cheap-shot blows? That’s for the playground crew, a sure sign you can’t handle yourself. So chill out, MaryJ and Judith. Make yourself heard. But loosen up, already. Screeching earns no fans. And Arellano? Bring it on, amigo!

Nice e-crossdressing, MaryJ Aula… and quit with the drug references, we all know you work with the biggest dealers in “the valley” lol.

Stereotypical assumptions. Don’t make “All” statements either. You “know nothing” about me. I am not anti immigrant, I am anti illegal immigrant. Take a ticket and get in line. Most Americans dislike queue jumpers. How about all the legal immigrants from other countries that have struggled to become a citizen, an American? Mary j has a point, would Gustavo be championing rights of illegals from Africa and Esatern Europe? Could it be he has an ethnocentric agenda?

Latination

I’m as white as a ghost and Gustavo is hilarious. As he said below, “no sacred cows.” His satire hits the things others are afraid to discuss, and I find that refreshing in a PC dominated world.

MaryJ (Jason Aula?) you’re one of the idiots that makes Gustavo’s contributions necessary. “La Raza nonsense?” Your bigotry shines through.

ha ha. Mary J and Judith are probably Jason or another jasonite (conservative student union) member that is anti-woman, anti-immigrant, anti-LGBT, and just about anti-everything that makes one a compassionate and decent human being. You rock Gustavo! Keep fighting for a justice and humane world. Looks like a great event. Paz!

Gustavo Arellano

And, of course, the comment below is me. Oh, and MaryJ? I’ve gone after indigenazis harder than I have Know Nothings—you can look it up. If I were truly racist like you say, I would turn the other way.

MaryJ: You forgot to say that I also slur Mexicans, Irish, Chinese, Armenians, and every group on Earth. That’s the beauty of satire; no sacred cows.

Judith: Satire, amiga: Satire! I’m more American than John Wayne.

He’s a racist himself; his column is full of slur words against white people like “gabacho.” I’m sick of the PC double standards that lets people like Arellano off the hook for their racism while demonizing people like Don Imus. His views on illegal immigration are standard La Raza nonsense; all for the race. If it were 20 million Africans or Eastern Europeans in this country illegally he wouldn’t care less.

Ask a Mexican? Hmm, I assumed he was an “American” of Mexican descent. Who knew? He just wants to be known as a Mexican, not an American, that is the problem. Balkanization in it’s finest form.