Students, faculty showcase accomplishments at celebration

Cal State Long Beach honored students and faculty of every discipline from fashion to psychology today.

The second annual Celebration of Research, Scholarly and Creative Activity, which was in The Pointe in the Walter Pyramid on Thursday, is meant to recognize both students and faculty members’ accomplishments.

“Engaging our students in discovering activities that take place in the laboratories, in the field, on stage and in the creative studios is a core part of our educational mission at CSULB,” said James A. Till, director of the CSULB Regional Technology Center and interim associate vice president for research and external support.

According to Till, there were more than 100 posters on display, with some authored through collaboration. One display was by assistant professor Risto Moisio, who found through a study that people are more likely to give someone a gift if they believe that the person has already planned to give them a gift. Another examined strategies for reducing vehicle emissions.

There were also designs on display. One was “Wire Dress,” which was by student Megan MacLean for a class project. The dress was constructed using only wire, with certain spots resembling a spider web.

“I like the design, the flowers that were on it and that it was made using only wire,” said Rosamaria Sanchez, a junior biology major at the event. “I thought that was pretty interesting.”

Professors and students were invited to participate in the program based on the work they have already completed, Till said. Students’ posters presented information from their work in areas such as their directive readings, laboratory studies, grant-related employment and master’s theses work, according to Till.

Five students and faculty were honored in an awards presentation for their work. Graduate research student Ricardo Gallardo-Macias and undergraduate research student Jennifer Pearson received awards. Professors Ralph Rozenek and Kim-Phuong L. Vu also received an award for faculty mentorship, and Charles H. Webb, an English professor, received an award for his accomplishments over the last year. According to Till, Webb has been published in 88 publications in the last 18 months.

Provost Karen L. Gould presented all recipients their awards. According to Till, they also received $500 each.

Till said that student involvement in academic activities increases student retention and graduation rates. Some students also decide to “strongly consider going on in a career of scientific discovery,” according to Till.