Chavez and Denila elected to ASI executive positions

After a run-off election, Cal State Long Beach has named a new Associated Students Inc. president for 2009-2010 — current ASI Vice President Christopher Chavez.

“I’m very honored and very thankful for the students at CSULB who supported me,” Chavez said. “I’d also like to recognize Avis Atkins, Raul Preciado and Ricardo Linarez for having a very tough campaign,”

The race was tight, with Chavez receiving 51 percent of the student vote. Chavez won by 28 votes, according to Assistant Director of Student Involvement and Leadership Kim Hinckson. Approximately 2,200 students voted in the run-off election.

“That was close,” Chavez said. “I knew it would be close because we had really high-caliber candidates.”

Marilei Denila was elected ASI treasurer with 61 percent of the student vote.

The results of the run-off election were announced at the Southwest Terrace at about 12:10 p.m. on April 24. The announcement, originally scheduled for noon, was delayed because presidential candidate Avis Atkins was running late. Atkins was not present at the announcement. James Kuang, the other candidate for ASI treasurer, was also absent from the announcement.

Hinckson said via e-mail, “I called and spoke to Avis, who said she was looking for parking and was very nervous. James had to work.”

Chavez said his candidacy and the election process was a great learning experience for him.

“No matter what, you’ve got to put in a lot of hard work, a lot of dedication and also be sure to maintain what you’re currently doing,” he said.

Chavez said that now that he has been elected, the next step is preparation.

“The work continues and I have to make sure I’m on top of my game as soon as I’m in office,” he said. “Really, it’s going to be learning how to do the job and I’m really looking forward to what we can accomplish next year.”

Denila said of the results of her campaign, “I’m so excited that it’s all over and now I can start working for next year.”

Denila said that through the campaign she realized how much she really cares about this university and its students.

“I know people say, ‘Oh, who are these executives?’ but I feel like instead of it just affecting our ASI there’s so much more that we can do to affect the students,” Denila said. “I’m just more excited to try and hit every area to make sure I’m doing more than just my job.”

Denila said she is ready to get to work.

“I’m one of those persons who likes to get things started, so I’m ready for that,” she said.

Makes sense for Chris to win. I see him everywhere on-campus, unlike the others who pop out of nowhere when the campaign starts.

Good article. How many votes were cast?

Jason Aula’s endorsement really helped her a lot, otherwise, she wouldn’t have been 28 votes short of winning the election.