Swine flu at seasonal levels

The Cal State Long Beach student confirmed with the swine flu virus has fully recovered and is back in class.

“We have had no further cases of the swine flu here at campus,” said Michael Carbuto, chief of medical staff at the CSULB Student Health Services. “We are seeing a few cases of the regular seasonal flu, but those have been mild.”

According to Carbuto, the swine flu turned out to be less severe than anticipated, however it is possible that the flu may come back in the fall.

“We will be offering seasonal flu shots to students, faculty and staff in October,” Carbuto said. “We will keep students updated about this.”
Carbuto said students were well informed by the campus and that in general people are now aware of the effects of influenza and the precautions to take.

Some students were not personally concerned about an outbreak.

“People are making a big deal out of the swine flu,” said Evelyn Saldana, an undeclared freshman. “Everyone has germs.”

Saldana also said the way the university handled the situation wasn’t helpful.

“The e-mails weren’t useful,” she said.

Kristen Stitaf, a sophomore psychology major, disagreed, saying the e-mails made her feel “safe” and that they were “helpful.”

Darshen Anandabba, an electric engineering graduate student, said he wasn’t concerned about this particular strain of the flu.

“I thought it was [just] another flu,” he said. “I feel safe anywhere on campus.”

According to the California Department of Public Health Laboratory, there have been five cases of the swine flu influenza in Long Beach so far. The individuals confirmed with the swine flu are in recovery.

Student Health Services and the Long Beach Public Health Department are both encouraging students to continue following healthy habits like washing hands regularly, covering the nose and mouth when sneezing and avoiding close contact with people who are sick. If someone is sick, they suggest staying at home from school or work.

Helene Calvet, city health officer, said that Long Beach cases were fairly mild, but there are currently four to five new probable cases. The results of these cases are currently pending.

Calvet said that it is hard to predict whether the decrease in swine flu cases is evidence that it no longer poses a threat. She also added that influenza might return next fall.

“Historically influenzas do come back in time,” Calvet said. “I don’t think that we are done with this virus. It is hard to say when it will die out.”

Karla Sosa contributed to this article.