Cultural, Lavender graduations offer ‘personal’ celebration

With graduation around the corner, some students are choosing a more intimate gathering to celebrate their accomplishments.

Every semester about 20 lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender graduates participate in the Lavender Graduation.

Cal State Long Beach offers seven cultural graduation celebrations: Cambodian, African-American, Chicano/Latino, American Indian, Pacific Islander, Filipino and Lavender celebrations.

“The students that wanted to establish Lavender Graduation on campus three years ago wanted to add another ethnic graduation,” said Student Life and Development Coordinator Matt Cabrera. “[A graduation] that not only celebrates the student’s accomplishments at CSULB, but also celebrates and honors who they are as individuals, regardless of their sexual orientation.”

Cabrera oversees all six campus resource centers, including the LGBT Resource Center. Although not necessarily a cultural celebration, Lavender Graduation allows the graduating members of the LGBT community to be recognized.

“It’s important to be a part of a cultural graduation and to have a space for LGBT students on campus,” said LGBT Resource Center student assistant and creative writing major Jaqueline Pham. “It’s more intimate and very comforting.”

“The graduation shows the accomplishments of the LGBT community,” said Hugo Perales, a translation and interpretation studies major. “I want to show my friends and family that I did it.”

Perales also plans to attend the regular CSULB commencement ceremony.

Students who wish to participate in any of the cultural graduations can do so without having to attend a CSULB commencement ceremony. All cultural graduations are scheduled either before or after the main ceremonies to accommodate those who wish to attend one or more.

Upon registering for Lavender Graduation, students receive one lavender stole, a rainbow-colored tassel and five tickets to the event. The gown is optional, and most students prefer to come dressed as they please.

“It’s supposed to be smaller for the LGBT community and their friends, allies and people who support them,” said Nick Arciniega, chair of the event committee and junior history major. “It’s more personal, that’s why we don’t require them to wear their gowns.”

The ceremony is not limited to members of the LGBT community but is extended to the intersex, queer, questioning and heterosexual allies.

“It’s open to everyone,” said Associated Students Inc. Secretary of LGBT Affairs Matt Bates. “We want to also focus on straight allies.”

Bates went on to say that every year the LGBT community tries to recognize an ally who has contributed their support by honoring them at the graduation. No one is scheduled to receive the award this year.

The color lavender symbolizes the mixing of pink and blue, and represents the two genders and their sexualities. The LGBT community adopted the color as a symbol of homosexuality. Registration is available until the day of the ceremony but certificates are made ahead of time, so those who register the day of will not immediately receive one.

Lavender Graduation will be held Saturday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Beach Auditorium. For information contact the LGBT Resource Center at 562-985-4966 or [email protected].