iClicker picked to be CSULB standard for tech tests

iTunes, iPods, iPhones and even iPillows seem to be taking over the technology world.

Starting fall 2009, Cal State Long Beach will take part in the popular i-trend by applying the iClicker as the standard handheld electronic polling device in classes.

The iClicker is a device that allows professors to get instant feedback and answers from students. According to its website, the iClicker uses the same technology as the TV show “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” and applies it to a learning environment.

The device uses a clicker that allows students to vote by clicking on the appropriate button for their choice. The professor uses a receiver, which is connected to a computer’s USB port that collects votes sent by students’ clickers. Each student’s selection is immediately sent from their clicker to the receiver using radio frequency.

“The results appear on screen via PowerPoint, all in real time,” said Paul Boyd-Batstone, an associate professor in teacher education and chair of the Faculty Advisory Committee on Technology.

The results are made available for later analysis and grading.
Different model clickers were previously used in courses ranging from biology and physical science to music and history. In some instances, students had to buy different clickers for different classes depending on their professor’s preferences.

Rather than having to burden students by continuing to allow professors to pick their own clicker models, the Academic Senate sought a standardized clicker model.

Boyd-Batstone put together a resolution regarding the clickers and the Academic Senate unanimously picked the iClicker as the CSULB standardized model.

“iClicker offered many advantages, including reliability, ease of use, lower cost [and] no need to take instructional time to show students how to use because it is highly intuitive,” Boyd-Batstone said.

Out of the three clickers in the resolution, the iClicker was the most affordable at $27, but the price might lower.

“With the standardization, the [university] bookstore was able to negotiate a lower price for students due to expected higher volume use,” Boyd-Batstone said.

The bookstore was also able to implement a buyback for used clickers, which will allow them to have lower-cost iClickers for sale.

The iClicker’s main purpose is to engage students more during classes.
“Skilled instructors use iClickers to increase whole group participation especially in large lecture sections,” Boyd-Batstone said.

According to a survey done by San Diego State University after it had standardized the iClicker, 79 percent of students said that using the clicker helps them feel more involved in class.

“Active participation in learning has been found to contribute to deeper understanding and longer retention of information,” Boyd-Batstone said.

Although iClickers are not a requirement for all classes, further usage will be encouraged.

“Hopefully, more professors will take advantage of this opportunity to increase student learning,” Boyd-Batstone said.