Provost moves from coast to coast

Karen L. Gould said she didn’t intend to leave Cal State Long Beach so soon. She has been involved with CSULB since she became provost in March 2007.

When she was appointed as the first female president of Brooklyn College, it seemed to be an offer that she could not refuse. She was appointed June 22 and will step down from her duties as CSULB provost in mid-August.

“I think that it is wonderful that Brooklyn College is one of the first state liberal arts colleges in New York to have admitted women,” Gould said. “There is a very strong tradition of men and women in the arts and it is a wonderful thing that the ninth president is a woman.”

In 2007, Gould came to CSULB to work as the provost and senior vice president for academic affairs.

“This is a remarkable opportunity that one does not foresee,” Gould said. “I’m thrilled about it but it was not foreseen.”

Gould’s involvement in CSULB varies from academic quality to student learning and achievement while also focusing on faculty affairs such as teaching, research and service activities. Focuses were also made for freshmen programs like mentoring and advising.

While working at CSULB, Gould has gained valuable understanding in extensive academic and administrative experience from five major public higher education institutions that will come in handy while working at Brooklyn College.

Working in the California State University system has helped Gould understand how different colleges work together in an integrated fashion. Brooklyn College is part of the City University of New York (CUNY) system.

Although Gould’s time spent at CSULB was short, she said she will miss the institution, faculty and students.

“There will always be a place in my heart for CSULB,” Gould said.

E-mail addresses are used only to notify you of replies and are not displayed