CSU shuts door on spring 2010 applicants

The California State University system announced July 9 that it will not be accepting applications for the spring 2010 semester. The system usually admits approximately 35,000 freshmen and transfer students each spring term.

Campuses that follow the quarter system have also been asked to stop accepting applications for the winter 2010 term. Only eligible applicants who applied to those universities prior to July 6 will be considered for admission, according to a CSU letter sent to the campus presidents.

Those in credential, certificate and master’s programs, in addition to returning students who are required to reapply in order to enroll, are not excluded from the closure, but fall 2009 continuing students on educational leave can return in the spring.

According to a press release, the CSU plans to reduce enrollment by 40,000 students for the 2010-2011 academic year.

“This is a systemwide response to the failure of the state of California to support its students,” Cal State Long Beach President F. King Alexander said. “California has opted not to support students in the spring and thousands in the fall. … It is shameful that California has fallen to levels of state support below states like Kentucky, New Mexico, Arkansas and Alabama.”

CSULB students have said that not accepting any spring transfer students for the second time in a row is not fair to students who have otherwise put in the work to reach the university.

“I don’t think it’s right,” said Gonzalo Barajas, a junior pre-film major. “[Transfer students] are more prepared than kids coming from high school. They already know what they want to do.”

Barajas said that not letting transfer students in “takes away from the diversity.” He added that his girlfriend is currently enrolled in a junior college and cannot get out.

“It is a loss for everyone,” said Brenda Rivera, a senior microbiology major. “For science students, there are a lot of transfers, especially because science is an impacted major.”

Rivera said that closing off spring transfers is a loss of potential and opportunity, and that there is not much opportunity at a community college for specialization because they lack certain courses.

They should still be accepted “if they’re qualified,” Rivera said.

Javier Mendoza, a senior criminal justice major and biology major, highly disagrees with the government cutting funding from education.

“The government should be able to provide equal rights, especially to go to school,” Mendoza said.

Karizza Cordero, a sophomore pre-nursing major, empathizes with her friends who have been trying to get into CSULB.

“Why can’t they let a few students in?” Cordero said. “It’s a better [educational] opportunity to go to Long Beach State.”

Eloy Ortiz Oakley, superintendent-president of Long Beach Community College District, can sympathize with the difficulty the CSU system is facing.

“I am disappointed to hear that Cal State Long Beach will not be taking any spring transfers, but I certainly understand the pressure [the budget puts on the CSU system],” he said.

Oakley said that although CSULB first began denying spring transfers last year, “we would not be surprised if this were to happen for the next year or two.”

He added that Long Beach City College is positive about preparing transfer students for the fall in spite of these drawbacks.

“This is a temporary impact to plans of students but it won’t close the door completely,” Oakley said. “[Transfer students looking to attend CSULB] are going to have to keep their options open.”

CSULB expects to accept some fall 2010 applications beginning Oct. 1, according to the Enrollment Services Web page. Applications are not being accepted from cross-enrollment students, or those seeking to concurrently attend CSULB and a University of California campus or community college.

Discussions on enrollment, as well as student fees and employee furloughs, will continue at the July 21 board of trustees meeting.

Kendra Ablaza and Antoinette Luzano contributed to this article.

This story was updated July 15.

E-mail addresses are used only to notify you of replies and are not displayed