Former journalism professor stayed strong through cancer battle

Jack J. Heeger, former Cal State Long Beach public relations and journalism professor, died July 3 in his Napa home. He was 78.

Heeger died after facing a 10-month battle with cancer. He was born Oct. 18, 1930, in Sioux City, Iowa, to Lester and Etta Heeger. He moved to Los Angeles in 1954.

He earned a master’s degree in business administration at 55, after which he began working at CSULB. He became a professor emeritus in 1992.

He dedicated much of his time to his journalism career — he even penned his own obituary.

Heeger was a wine columnist, feature writer and part-time copy editor for the Napa Valley Register, as well as a writer and copy editor for the Register, St. Helena Star and Weekly Calistogan. He also wrote for various wine publications.

In addition, he spent almost 40 years in public relations, eventually serving as vice president of public affairs for Sunkist Growers Inc. He was also involved in the jewelry industry and worked with the California Jewelers Association for more than 35 years.

“Jack Heeger had the unusual ability of moving easily between the professions of journalism and public relations,” said journalism professor William Mulligan via e-mail. “He brought to the students in his classes this unique background of being a successful, trusted professional newsman, as well as a trusted public relations specialist.”

Heeger also served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1951-1953.

“Jack will be long remembered as a friend, a colleague, a professor, a journalist and a public relations practitioner by those fortunate enough to have known him in academics, journalism and public relations,” Mulligan said. “He was indeed a true professional with integrity and creativity. Through his work, many have been better informed and educated.”

Heeger fully dedicated himself to everything he did. His work at CSULB was no exception.

“He was very well liked by students and is remembered fondly for his pleasant smile,” Mulligan said. “But, the absolute dedication to his teaching at Cal State Long Beach will not be forgotten. He liked to chat with other faculty about the classes and students and exchange ideas on how to improve teaching and the students’ educational experience.”

Wayne Kelly, professor emeritus of journalism, described Heeger as cooperative and easy to work with.

“I never heard anyone say a bad thing about him,” Kelly said.

Even in his final days, Heeger was upbeat and a pleasure to talk to, according to Kelly.

“My life is still good even though it’s closing down,” Heeger told Kelly after his cancer diagnosis.

“I never met Jack Heeger, but from what I’ve heard about him I wish I had,” saidthe current journalism professor emeritus, Lee Brown.

Heeger is survived by his wife, Heddy; children Lloyd Leah of Dallas, Texas, Marshall Oksana of Fairfax, Va., and Laurie Averitt of Monrovia, Calif.; stepchildren Ymke Swierstra of Santa Maria, Calif., Andrew Swierstra of San Ramon, Calif., and Lynda Puerling of Santa Maria, Calif.; sister Maita Sadoff of Sioux City, Iowa; and 10 grandchildren and step-grandchildren.

His first wife, Fern, died before him in 1987.

A memorial service was held July 7 at Congregation Beth Sholom in Napa, followed by the burial at Tulocay Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, Heeger said in his self-written obituary that contributions may be made to either Hospice of Napa Valley, 414 S. Jefferson St., Napa, CA 94559, or Special Olympics, 3480 Buskirk Ave., Suite 340, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523.

E-mail addresses are used only to notify you of replies and are not displayed