Text alerts if packed classes open up, for $10

Nothing seems more complicated than applying for classes you need that are full.

Not only does it involve constantly checking the class for openings, but the stars have to align for you to snatch the class you want the minute it opens up. Let’s hope your computer doesn’t malfunction.

Fortunately, a college student invented a Web site called Course Sniper in June 2007. After always struggling to get into courses he needed to graduate, he built a quick script to “snipe” courses for himself. He decided to then offer this as a service to other students after seeing how effective it was.

Course Sniper works as a text-message notification service. Students select the course they need and Course Sniper checks the availability of that course every 10 minutes. As soon as there is an opening in the course, students are notified via text message and, if they want, a phone call.

However, the service comes at a price. It costs $10 for each course a student wants covered. Students can also receive multiple notifications in a day for one class for a $10 charge.

Course Sniper operations manager Dmytro Mulyava said $10 is a small price to pay when it comes to getting a college education.

“College tuition is very expensive, often costing tens of thousands dollars,” Mulyava said. “It’s important that students get the best value possible. Picking the right courses is a part of this.”

Mulyava said that if students do not get the courses they need or want, they put themselves at risk of not graduating in time, or they might take an alternate course they will not enjoy as much, which can lead to a lower grade.

“When considering this, $10 is a very small amount to ensure that you get the course you need,” Mulyava said.

Mulyava said Course Sniper is “pretty much effective” at all of its participating universities. Its service is available to students at more than 200 universities across the country.

“It is a good idea,” Mulyava said. “I like to think of it as a service that fills a very simple need amongst college students.”

Cal State Long Beach students, such as Angie Delgado, see the benefits of using Course Sniper when applying for classes.

“I don’t know when classes open up,” said the junior athletic training major. “My major is impacted, so I would use it.”

Henry Gallegos, a junior electrical engineering major, agrees with Course Sniper’s service but not its price.

“I’d rather wait it out,” Gallegos said. “Ten dollars is too much for one class. Maybe if it were $10 for five classes. Ten dollars is just way too much.”

However, George Ramirez, a senior majoring in business administration, does not care so much about the price as he does the importance of the course.

“It depends on how bad I need the class,” Ramirez said.

Alexandra Rousso contributed to this article.