Grandmother-granddaughter duo begin school together

In the mind of freshman psychology major Alexis Walters, Andrea Hull is just another classmate — one who just happens to be her 62-year-old grandmother.

Hull, a transfer student from Santa Monica College, started classes this fall at Cal State Long Beach, aspiring to earn her bachelor’s and master’s degree. Hull is entering CSULB with Walters, her 18-year-old granddaughter. They are both majoring in psychology.

This is the first time in CSULB’s 60-year history that this situation has occurred, according to CSULB spokesman Rick Gloady. While Hull and Walters have a unique situation, their goals resemble those of typical college students.

“I hope to get my BA and do some internships and work as a school counselor, eventually. And from there, work my way up,” Walters said.

Hull has a long future ahead of her at CSULB, since she plans to ultimately get her master’s degree as Walters is getting her bachelor’s.

Walters graduated from Mira Costa High School in Manhattan Beach earlier this year. While she was preparing for college, she had no idea that she would be attending the same university as her grandmother. When she found out her grandmother was accepted to CSULB, she was shocked.

“I’m going to the same college as you?” Walters said. “Are you kidding or are you serious?”

However, Walters feels inspired by her grandmother.

“She’s doing it for herself, not for anyone else,” Walters said. “It’s self-fulfillment.”

Hull didn’t start college until she was more than 50 years old. Although she had an aspiration to attend college when she was younger, she was unable to because of her father’s view of women and their societal role.

“He said only boys go to school. Girls didn’t,” Hull said.

Now, more than 30 years later, Hull is returning to school to complete her education.

“I started taking classes and I got caught in learning. I fell in love with campus life,” Hull said. “I feel pumped. I’m going backwards in time.”

Despite their age difference and grandmother-granddaughter relationship, Hull and Walters see each other as collegemates and treat each other as such.

“I’m not her grandmother on campus,” Hull said. “I am a student. I’m not here to make sure she eats her vegetables. But she is smart and she is an old soul.”

Hull said Walters has never been one to get caught up with peer pressure or following the crowd. Walters is also excited to be collegemates with her grandmother.

“She has always treated me like an equal. We are really close. She has always been there to support me,” Walters said. “It’s nice to have her here and have someone to take me home.”

Hull’s educational journey may not be conventional, but she is pursuing her education with gusto, and she urges others to do the same.

“Especially now, everyone should aspire for an education,” Hull said. “If the first try doesn’t work, then find another way. Even if it slows you down. Never give up on education.”