Packs to protect against swine flu

Although bombarded with budget cuts, Associated Students Inc. still hopes to solve the health and budget obstacles the university is currently facing this semester.

Dr. Michael Carbuto from Student Health Services (SHS) announced that it is fully prepared for any further H1N1 outbreaks on campus. In May, a student at Cal State Long Beach was confirmed with the swine flu virus. Since then, two more separate outbreaks were confirmed over summer.

There will be two flu shots offered this fall on campus for students. Starting on Sept. 29, SHS is offering a “Flu Clinic” to vaccinate the seasonal flu. The $10 seasonal flu vaccine will be available to the whole campus.

The clinic will be stationed in the University Student Union Ballrooms on Sept. 29. It will also be available Oct. 1, Oct. 13 and Oct. 15.

Another vaccine will be given out to prevent the H1N1 virus this season. This vaccine was initially ordered for on-campus housing students only. Out of 25,000 vaccinations ordered, there will be 3,000 flu shots available to other students on a first-come-first-serve basis. SHS is expecting the vaccine to arrive in mid-October.

H1N1 virus is a “predominant influenza” in California, according to Carbuto. He added that it can easily be contracted.

The SHS is constantly monitoring students who have check-ups in its facility for any swine flu symptoms and will continue to do so until it feels students are safe from the contagious flu, Carbuto said.

Because flu shots are not mandatory for CSULB students, Carbuto encourages the entire campus to be cautious during the flu season. He advises those who may feel under the weather to stay home.

SHS is offering “Flu Packs” containing flu prevention essentials, such as Acetaminophen tablets, hand sanitizers and single-use thermometers, for $5 each.

ASI also discussed at its meeting yesterday the approval of CSULB rejoining the California State Student Association (CSSA), an organization that unifies leaders of participating CSUs.

Due to the current budget situation the California State University system is facing, ASI President Christopher Chavez said it was important for CSULB to be unified with all CSU student voices against Sacramento.

“We need every asset that we have available to speak out and really fight these budget cuts and convince California to invest in higher education,” he said.

Chavez refers to joining the CSSA as a “golden opportunity” for CSULB to contribute input when fighting with Sacramento in hopes to reform the CSU system.

He also said costs for the CSSA membership will be covered strictly by outside fundraising, not from students.

Because of CSSA’s efforts in all CSUs campuses’ contributions, they are more open to criticism and new ideas for those involved in order to redirect their energy toward fighting Sacramento.