Socialist Party protests LB education cuts

“They say cut back, we say fight back!” people chanted on the corner of Ocean Boulevard and Pacific Avenue in downtown Long Beach on Tuesday afternoon in protest of the city budget cuts.

Some people driving by honked their horns as a sign of approval and agreement, encouraging the people to chant louder.

“Just beat the rich!” shouted a man from one car.

The Long Beach City Council voted Tuesday on the budget cuts that, among other things, will affect health services and libraries.

According to the Press-Telegram, the Long Beach City Council approved the city’s budget, cutting $20.3 million from the general fund while restoring some proposed reductions in police, fire, youth and arts programs.

Stevie Merino, an international studies major at Cal State Long Beach and a member of the Party for Socialism and Liberation, was among those at the rally.

Merino said that she has seen teachers buying supplies for students with their own money because the school or the students’ parents can’t afford to do that.

“I am here because there has been an extreme cut in social services, as well as things that people need: health care, health clinics, libraries and stuff that will affect people greatly, and they want to expand the budget for police and city officials,” Merino said.

Peter Mathews, a professor of American government and international relations at Cypress College, said he came to support the rally and wants to run for congressman for that same cause.

“We need more money to come in from big companies, such as the oil companies, to balance the budget to keep all the services people need,” Mathews said.

Due to the budget cuts, his students are experiencing difficulties in getting the classes they need, and it takes longer for them to graduate because of this, Mathews said, adding that he has seen firsthand the effects that the lack of funding has had on education.

“I want to make sure that the college tuition is free of charge as it used to be in the ’60s and the ’70s,” Mathews said.

Mathews’ dream seems to drift further away as tuition fees keep rising.

“When students’ rights are under attack, what do we do? Stand up, fight back!” the chanting went on. Although wind kept bending their signs, the chanters were not going to bend and accept the budget cuts.

Julie Herrera, a student at Hawthorne High School, was waving her sign as she chanted.

“The budget cuts are affecting our school’s funding.” Herrera said. “Paint is dropping off from the school’s walls, and they are not doing anything about that. We have a lot less charity, less after-school programs and there is a lot more fighting going on because of that.”

Herrera also said that because staff and faculty at her school are getting cut, there is less help to go around. Because of the budget cuts, many students who need help won’t have anyone to depend on, she said.