Proposal maxes out students’ units to 140

Students who exceed their major’s unit requirements may have to walk the stage sooner than expected.

Associated Students Inc. senators discussed Wednesday an in-progress proposal from the Curriculum and Educational Policies Council to put a cap on students’ maximum number of units.

It would name 140 units, or 20 units above students’ major requirements, as the maximum number they can take before graduating. Credit from advanced placement courses would not count toward the cap.

If enacted, up to 70 units would be counted in the maximum for transfer students from two-year colleges. Those from 4-year colleges would have up to 90 units count toward the cap.

Students who have already completed 90 units would also be unable to change their major.

“This is a proposal ultimately aimed to allow more students into the university,” ASI President Chris Chavez said. “It’s basically forcing us to graduate sooner.”

The meeting also marked the first reading for Senate Resolution No. 2010-03, which declares the Associated Students’ complete opposition to the state’s education budget cuts. It encourages the California government and Legislature to enact reform that will allow the California State University system to operate despite the economic circumstances. The resolution was moved for approval and will have its second reading next week.

Chavez also congratulated Senate members for successfully collecting comment cards for Long Beach Transit’s proposed changes.

The third and final reading for the proposed service changes to Long Beach Transit was passed. With more than 450 comment cards on the U-Pass program, Chavez said it was the most feedback senators had ever collected on any petition drive.

The deadline to turn in all comment cards is Friday. The public hearing for the Long Beach Transit changes will be held Monday from noon to 2 p.m. in the Long Beach City Hall Council Chambers.

New representatives were also elected to the Academic Senate. Students Umera Ameen and Mary Trout were confirmed as the first two appointments this year.

“When it comes to voicing opinions that affect students, I don’t shy,” Ameen said.

Ameen is from the College of Education and holds an emphasis on student development in higher education. Trout, a sophomore business major, named the recent budget cuts among her motivators to get involved with the student government.

The position of public defendant remains unfilled. Louhmadi Abedelghafour’s nomination was void due to eligibility issues. First-year transfers are not able to run. The other nominee, Jamil Aslam, did not attend and the item has been postponed until next week.

Article updated 9/24/09 at 1:59 a.m. with location of Long Beach Transit hearing.