Students to aid victims of tsunami in Pacific

The destructive underwater earthquake with a magnitude of 8.3 struck the Pacific Ocean off the northern coast of New Zealand on Sept. 29, sweeping Faaputu Vaafuti’s uncle’s home away with its huge waves.

Vaafuti said both sides of her family were affected by the tsunami.

Moments later, a family member received a phone call saying one of Vaafuti’s cousins might be missing. Fortunately, he was later found alive.

“He has several bruises and stitches,” Vaafuti said.

Vaafuti, a Cal State Long Beach freshman biology major and active member of the Pacific Islander Association on campus, said she is volunteering at the club’s donation drive Monday for this cause. PIA will have tables set up at Maxson Plaza to raise money for victims and family members affected by the tsunami in South Pacific and Southeast Asia.

According to The Associated Press, the tsunami killed at least 119 people in the South Pacific. Massive waves of up to 20 feet drove residents to higher ground and destroyed villages throughout the island.

PIA is organizing an all-day donation drive and will hand out information related to the tsunami and ways to volunteer locally.

Donators have the option of giving to the American Red Cross, or to the International Red Cross, which provides international aid for victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. PIA has asked the American Red Cross Greater Long Beach chapter to handle the monetary donations.

Pita G. Taase, PIA staff adviser, approached the American Red Cross student group on campus to help with the donation drive. He is also working with Kim Walz of the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the California State University Employees Union.

Taase said his aunt from his mother’s side was also a victim of the tsunami. While PIA did not set a goal for the monetary donation, Taase said he would be happy with what PIA gets and that people give what they can to those who need it.

Vaafuti also mentioned that religion is very strong in Samoan families. A mass funeral was held last weekend for those who died in the tsunami.

PIA will have a table Monday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m in front of Maxson Plaza.