Alumna getting 2nd chance on ‘Biggest Loser’

A second chance is the theme for season 8 of the show “The Biggest Loser,” and Shauntina “Shay” Sorrells is certainly getting hers as a contestant.

Sorrells, a 30-year-old Newport Beach resident who received her master’s degree in social work at Cal State Long Beach earlier this year, said that while writing her thesis, she discovered she had a problem — an addiction to food, which was holding her back from enjoying her everyday life and, ultimately, killing her.

As a child, Sorrells grew up with a drug-addicted mother and was homeless for two years, according to an interview with Star magazine. She eventually ended up in foster care and turned to food for comfort.

Now, Sorrells is battling her addiction with the support of her family and friends. Among many alterations to her life, Sorrells is now a counselor at an elementary school and hopes to work with foster youth to see more positive outcomes with them and their families. She also hopes those trying to lose weight will accomplish their goals as well.

Five episodes into the weight-loss reality show, she has lost 60 pounds and weighs 476 pounds.

Marisol Aguilar: What inspired you to be part of the show?

Shauntina “Shay” Sorrells: Watching what previous contestants had done to change their lives was inspirational. I would sit at home every week on my couch, watching these people reveal their journey of weight loss and often their emotional journeys to all of America. … These people giving their all, inspiring America and, through losing it all, gaining something very worthwhile: their lives back.

MA: Did you ever think you would do something like this?

SS: I don’t think I ever thought that I would be on any TV show! I have always been geared toward social work and helping everyday people. As a child in foster care, the only thing I could think of being when “I grew up” was a social worker. “Reality TV personality” was not in the cards, or so I thought.

MA: What was your experience like being on the show?

SS: Being on the show was the most exciting, draining, challenging, growing and life-changing thing I have ever been a part of. … You build relationships, you learn things about yourself, you find your competitive side and, at the same time, you are literally watching yourself shrinking day by day. As I watch the show now while walking on my treadmill in my living room, I do not feel as if I was on a TV show. … It is so surreal.

MA: How much weight did you want to lose?

SS: I really didn’t have a “goal” in mind when I went to the show. I wanted to be able to do everything I wanted to do without limitations. Being 476 pounds, there are plenty of limitations. I wanted to be able to run with my kids, have the wedding I never had in the dress I always wanted, to fly anywhere I wanted, to ride amusement park rides with my friends, to not worry about health issues.

MA: Do you feel accomplished so far, being on the show?

SS: I do feel as if I have had tremendous personal growth and that I am far beyond where I was, both physically and emotionally, than where I started on the show. I know success is not only measured by the finish line, so being that I am still very far from my finish line, I feel as if the race so far has been amazing and successful!

MA: How do you feel your life has changed after being part of the show?

SS: I have made many changes in my lifestyle since being a part of the show. We are more active, we take bike rides with the kids, we walk to the store and we have date nights that consist of going to the gym or going hiking on the beach. Before the show, I would have friends over for dinner, or go out to dinner or go for ice cream. Friendship was surrounded by food.

MA: Is there any message you would like to give to people who have a hard time losing weight or maintaining a certain weight?

SS: My favorite quote for this is from Martin Luther King Jr.: “You do not have to see the whole staircase, just the first step.” … It reminded me that all I had to do was one day at a time. If you look at the big picture, it can be overwhelming. Just take that first step. Also, if you are struggling with emotional baggage, that has to come off before the weight will.