ASI works to keep the ‘DREAM’ alive

Calling it one of the “hot issues” for universities statewide, Associated Students Inc. Vice President Omar Gonzalez sponsored a Senate resolution encouraging support of the DREAM Act.

The resolution was approved in its first reading at Wednesday’s ASI meeting. The DREAM Act, an acronym for “Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors,” is a piece of federal legislation that was proposed in the U.S. Senate last spring.

Under strict provisions, the DREAM Act would expand opportunities for immigrant students seeking higher education, citizenship or both.

If enacted, the DREAM Act would establish a path allowing undocumented students to progress toward U.S. citizenship. Upon graduating high school, applicable students would receive a six-year temporary residency period, during which they must devote a minimum of two years to either college or the U.S. military, all while avoiding a criminal record. Successful completion of this period would lead to permanent residence.

For many undocumented young people, the burden of college tuition is exacerbated by a lack of access to grants, loans, scholarships, in-state rates and ability to apply for legal employment.

Introduction of ASI’s support for the DREAM Act is founded on the notion that students attending Cal State Long Beach may “become discouraged from finishing their studies due to the limitations set by their immigration status,” as stated in the original Senate resolution document. Gonzalez hopes that with the resolution’s passage, awareness will resonate through the community.

“Cal State Long Beach has a big population of minorities with Hispanic background, and I know our constituents would benefit from this,” Gonzalez said. “We should incorporate it here at home, where we live in a city and attend a campus that is so incredibly diverse.”

In other news, President Chris Chavez expressed mixed reactions to the Long Beach Transit decision made earlier this week.

Disappointed with the board’s rejection of the Passport B route, Chavez said, “This shows that when you have a community of invested interest, they can certainly derail a good idea.”

However, he acknowledged that CSULB will still benefit from the approved changes.

“We did get around 80 percent of what we had been asking for — we got the Passport D, we got extra buses down Seventh Street and we were also able to preserve the U-Pass system,” Chavez said.

Also highlighted at the meeting was the upcoming “Cookies for Cuts” demonstration, an effort conceived by the California State Student Association in lament over tuition fees, enrollment caps and furlough days.

ASI and CSULB will join other California State University campuses to protest Sacramento’s actions on education. Proceeds generated through a bake sale at “Cookies for Cuts” from CSULB and the other participating schools will go toward the fight for higher education.

The demonstration will also give students the opportunity to film their personal reactions to the budget cuts, as well as throw pies at a mock-up of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger — actually Chavez in costume.

CSULB Lobby Corps will also be recruiting at the event to help gather support for the cause. The event will take place Nov. 3 at the USU Southwest Terrace from 12-2 p.m.