Peace festival attempts to wake up ‘apathetic’ generation

In a time where war, terror, massacre, economic downfalls, discrimination and domestic abuse are more prominent than ever, many decide to turn away and pretend the issues don’t exist. There are others, however, who believe that ignoring the issue won’t make the problems go away.

Tuesday, the Center for Peace and Social Justice will present the second annual Practicing Peace Festival to address issues of violence around the world and bring more awareness to them on campus.

“There will be many off-campus organizations represented to share with students ways in which we can practice peace in our communities,” said Alisha Herrick, a member of the CPSJ planning committee, via e-mail.

The event will have guest speakers such as political activist Tom Hayden and Captain Paul K. Chappell, author of “Will War Ever End?: A Soldier’s Vision of Peace for the 21st Century.”

There will also be poetry readings, yoga, an open microphone for student activists, live bands, a candlelight march for world peace to the Puvungna site on campus, and Reiki healing, a form of meditation. All these events will occur at three different sites: the Speaker’s Platform, the Southwest Terrace stage and the Multicultural Center, from noon to 5 p.m.

“I’m hoping that this day will encourage my fellow students to not only hear and understand the countless atrocities taking place around the world, including multiple wars, animal cruelty and poverty — but also to find ways that they can start practicing peace now in order to create peace for tomorrow,” Herrick said. “I hope that this event changes students’ minds from being apathetic to becoming activists, by showing how easy it is to just stand up and say what you are willing to fight for and what you’re not going to put up with anymore.”

The point of the event is to not only describe and help students understand that this is a time where peace seems unobtainable, but also to practice peace in their communities through their everyday actions.

“We are part of a generation that is becoming more and more apathetic to the problems around us, mostly because many feel as though there is nothing we can do about it,” Herrick said. “We are drowning in information about the wars, soldiers dying, civilians dying, the planet cooking — but no one telling us how to fix it.”

Some students on campus feel that an event like this will not spread the idea of peace.

“I think the event will make students aware of the situation but some people won’t pay attention. There’s much more to changing the way people think,” said Daisy Cruz, a senior psychology major.

Sarah Hicks, a junior English major, agreed with Cruz’s opinion and added that people already have their own ideas.

“In all, it’s a good idea,” Hicks said, “but [people] will walk by and listen and then go about their lives.”

However, there are others who believe that anything is possible, including peace.

“I think [the event] will let people see others ideas and it might encourage them to think the same way,” said Augustine Sims, a freshman business student.

Nevertheless, the event will bring different organizations that have been facing these issues to campus.

“It’s mutually beneficial for everyone involved. The organizations get to spread their message, and the students find how they can start doing something now,” Herrick said.