Festival chooses peace over war

Shalom, salam and paz all translate to “peace.”

The Center for Peace and Social Justice and the College of Liberal Arts presented the second annual Practicing Peace Festival.

The festival started at the Speaker’s Platform and expanded to the Friendship Walk, Southwest Terrace and Multicultural Center throughout the afternoon.

Alisha Herrick, a senior women’s, gender and sexuality studies major, said the purpose of the festival is to work with local organizations to promote peace.

Guest speaker Paul K. Chappell, who supports “waging peace not war,” questioned if humans are naturally violent.

Chappell’s book “Will War Ever End?: A Soldier’s Vision of Peace for the 21st Century” was sold during the festival. Proceeds go toward a veteran’s organization.

Festival participants also discussed higher education issues.

“Fire Charles Reed. Bring back state funding for the CSU,” said Ronald Loewe, associate professor of anthropology.

Near the Speaker’s Platform, Veterans for Peace laid crosses representing 331 American teens killed in Afghanistan and Iran.

Organizations such as Military Families Speak Out and the Muslim Student Association passed out pamphlets to students. Each table hung a poster titled “Champion of Peace,” which commemorated certain activists and leaders who have made a difference throughout history.

Practicing Peace also included yoga, poetry, a performance from the Beach Bollywood Dance Club and a “Peace is Possible” DVD presentation.