Incoming freshmen required to live in dorms

Starting next fall, incoming freshmen must live in university housing unless they fall under a category of exemption.

The new requirement, developed by the Division of Student Services and signed by President F. King Alexander, will be implemented to move Cal State Long Beach past the identity of a commuter campus.

In the Associated Students Inc. meeting Wednesday, President Chris Chavez said a discussion with Vice President of Student Services Douglas Robinson revealed that the reason for the change was to encourage “a more residential campus model.”

He said other campuses are looking toward similar plans.

The underutilization of campus housing at CSULB this year also contributed to reasons behind the new requirement.

“Parents’ No. 1 concern, aside from financial aid, is where their son or daughter’s name is on the waiting list for housing,” said Jeane Caveness, assistant dean of students. “The decrease in the entering class made a huge impact on the residence halls.”

Not all incoming freshmen, however, will have to live on campus.

Students living at home with their parents or guardians are exempt from the rule; the requirement also does not apply to those over the age of 21.

Other exceptions to the rule include students of current military or veteran status, independent students, or those with medical or disability needs.

Students who are married, domestically partnered or legally dependent are also exempt from the requirement, as well as students enrolled in less than five credit hours for the entire year.

Other incoming freshmen wishing to live elsewhere may be able to do so if a need is demonstrated; each circumstance will require documentation and proof.

The housing arrangement will be for the entire school year. It is not yet certain whether residential fees will change.

The ASI meeting also included the approval of several resolutions.

Support of the university’s establishment of a 24-hour library was approved in its third and final reading. The library will be open around the clock for students wishing to study during the upcoming finals week.

ASI also approved two initiatives on the Sustainability and Recycling Act regarding Senate Bill 402 and the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment.

The support of a student health care option was also approved in its third and final reading. The resolution, sponsored by Sens. Patrice Collins and Michael Quibuyen, and Senators-at-large Tony Garcia and Isai Valdez, urges that “the goal of universal health coverage should include college and university students, as well as graduate and professional students.”

Aside from legislative news, two senators announced their resignations from the ASI panel for the following semester.

Sen. Philip Bustamante from the College of the Arts will not continue in his position due to a schedule conflict, and Sen. Ruben Cordova from the College of Business Administration will be leaving for an internship.

ASI Vice President Omar Gonzalez thanked the two senators for their services, naming them both “commendable individuals.”

This will leave ASI with two senator vacancies for the upcoming semester.