AMA launches its first annual regional conference

The Cal State Long Beach American Marketing Association is presenting its first Southern California Regional Collegiate Conference this weekend.

Open to the entire College of Business Administration, the conference invited five Southern California AMA chapters: University of California, Irvine; University of California, San Diego; Cal State Fullerton, Cal Poly Pomona, along with an out-of-state appearance from University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

“The event has been the buzz of the semester,” said Associated Business Students Organization Council Representative Monica Sar.

The conference was created by Executive Vice President Antonio Ylanan. Last summer, Ylanan looked at AMA chapter reports of previous awards for the University of Pennsylvania and White Water Wisconsin. His goal was to hold a regional conference in California and give opportunities to other students. In addition, VP Mayo reaches professional speakers who are vital to the success of AMA.

“It is important to learn what it takes to be above those who are competing against you,” Sar said. “This conference will truly serve its purpose to put students ahead of the game.”

“The conference is a great way to put CSULB AMA on the map,” said AMA President Steven Lee. “It is well worth the effort not only for people to connect to this event, but to connect to other joint events. We want to bring the community together at large with Long Beach State.”

Lee said faculty adviser and professor Michael Tomlin will prepare a short speech for the event. Tomlin oversees the executive board and is a mentor for members of AMA. He also keeps in touch with previous students.

“Information is knowledge and knowledge is power,” Tomlin said. “What I want to stress to students is no matter what their discipline, be someone more than just a student attending class. Take an active role and network. Students don’t realize the important capabilities provided for them. They should start connections in college and embrace the aspects of school.”

Sar said the AMA will have distinguished industry speaker Ken Miller discuss topics concerning the job market from professional development to the marketing industry. Miller is the founder and president of Impact Associates.

Professional development topics will include how to distinguish oneself from other candidates, what paths to take, information about various industries and how to become successful. Marketing industry topics will include discussions of various aspects of the marketing field and how to market oneself.

Ylanan added that the conference will be split into different segments of two workshops: how to work in groups and how to build a portfolio with an interest in advertising.

The workshops will be lead by Michael Whitlow and Bill Bellows. Whitlow is a Cal State Long Beach professor, copywriter and co-owner of the advertising school The Book Shop. Bill Bellows is an associate fellow in the enterprise thinking network at United Technologies’ Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne business.

“We’re aiming this event to a more practical knowledge,” Lee said. “Every speaker will talk about relevant topics, such as how to interview and talk to people. Sometimes a classroom lecture overlooks in size. People absorb as much information as they can and apply it directly to life rather than making theoretical, philosophical knowledge.”

Many experienced AMA alumni are joining the event during lunch. Lee said it is highly conducive for students to speak with them in terms of their future careers.

“The job market is not what it used to be,” Lee said. “Any help they can receive about their career and professional development, they should take. They can learn and be a part of something that’s bigger than themselves.”

Lee said people majoring or minoring in marketing are people who know how to talk to others and interact well, adding that people in any field need to learn how to market themselves.

“We have to set ourselves apart from the rest of the people,” Lee said. “A resume with a high GPA is important, but being a personable person is just as important… It is fun to see if we can sell something, and how we can market or advertise that. Brand ourselves so that we can apply it to any industry and human being.”

The conference will take place from 10:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m on Feb. 27 at the University Student Union Ballrooms. Tickets are $10 for AMA members and $15 for non-AMA members.

blog comments powered by Disqus