Students to march for education

Of all the rallies and protests held throughout the year, the March 4 protest promises to be different: It will be the first time in recent California history that members from all segments of the public education system will simultaneously protest cuts to education.

According to a California Faculty Association press release, budget cuts have already sliced the California State University budget by more than $1 billion and have eliminated more than 2,000 employees. At the same time, student fees have increased more than 30 percent.

The March 4 protest will give a chance to all those who are upset to express their disappointment.

Claudia Ramirez, student organizer of Students for Quality Education, said in an e-mail that the purpose of the protest is to make noise so that the campus and Long Beach community are aware of how students have been affected by the budget cuts.

“We believe that the budget cuts, fee increases and furloughs are a direct injustice to the lives of students and the future of California,” Ramirez said. “Public education is an essential social service that everyone should be entitled to, regardless of economic situations.”

According to the CFA press release, the protest will be a unified effort of education supporters from all segments of public education in California. Protest organizers will host rallies, demonstrations and other types of events on all 23 CSU campuses and at other locations across the state.

Although Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has proposed in his 2010-11 budget a restoration of $305 million to the CSU system, the money will not be enough to fill the hole the budget cuts have made. CSUs are being forced to turn away thousands of new eligible students, while current students suffer because of an increase in student fees and the inability to enroll in necessary classes.

The rally at Cal State Long Beach will begin at the upper quad at 11:30 a.m. There will be dancing, music, entertainment and various groups with political action tables. The protestors will also march across the campus.

“We are hoping for 3,000 to 5,000 people at CSULB. We think there will be 100,000 or more demonstrating around the state and across the nation,” said Teri Yamada, CFA chapter president at CSULB, in an e-mail.

Ramirez said, however, that Students for Quality Education is expecting about 100 people to protest.

The Teachers Association of Long Beach is also hosting a regional rally at the Wilson High School gymnasium beginning 4:15 p.m.

CSULB professor Jose Moreno and student James Suazo will be speaking at Wilson High Schools. There will also be entertainment, such as a performance from Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave and Walkmen, according to Yamada.

Student walkouts are also being organized at various campuses, including those in the University of California and California Community Colleges systems. Yamada said that walkouts are not endorsed by the CFA and that “what students decide to do on their own is up to them.”

She added that “it would get [faculty] into a lot of trouble,” because a walkout is akin to a strike and would violate the CFA contract.