CSULB students seeking different writing services on campus

As budget cuts limit the resources of the Writer’s Resource Lab, more students are being turned over to the Research Paper Clinic.

No additional staff has been hired at the resource lab, and space is an issue, according to Todd Fox, coordinator of the lab.

“We’re outgrowing our capacity,” Fox said.

The Writer’s Resource Lab eliminated some days from its scheduling, such as Fridays and the week of Thanksgiving break. These days were removed as part of a strategic plan to avoid hurting students and to keep the lab open.

“A lot of people knew it was coming,” Fox said. “We knew the way the wind was blowing. We wanted to survive.”

The Writer’s Resource Lab faced budget cuts and was unable to staff as many people as it typically does. For this reason, the lab isn’t able to accommodate as many students as it had in the past.

“Has the budget been cut? Definitely, but to what degree?” Fox said. “It’s in the double-digits, somewhere in the 20s to 30s. Is that bad? Yes, but … we’re still operating. Things are worse in other places on campus, without a doubt.”

Many students are waiting to receive their appointments but aren’t being turned away. “Yes, students are waiting longer. But have they been unable to get in — no,” Fox said.

After having difficulty receiving appointments at the Writer’s Resource Lab, students can visit the Research Paper Clinic, which is offered 12 times until May 5 this semester in the Spidell Classroom, as an alternative to the Writer’s Resource Lab.

Working in conjunction with the Writer’s Resource Lab, the Research Paper Clinic offers “another way for students to get both research and writing assistance,” said Tracey Mayfield, acting associate dean and librarian at the University Library.

Two-hour workshops are available, where librarians and writing tutors can assist students.

Tiffini Travis, director of information literacy and outreach services at the University Library, said she decided to develop the research and writing workshops after seeing a library offer writers resource lab assistance at all hours.

“I wanted to offer a version of the service to our students and partner with the WRL, since I think their services complement what we do at the library — the research and citation styles,” Travis said. “They were really created to join the suite of skills that encompass the entire ‘research and writing process.'”

According to Travis, the workshops average four to six students per session. Often, the Research Paper Clinics receive referral students, which is when the Writer’s Resource Lab doesn’t have appointments available and sends students to the research and writing workshops.

In addition to the Research Paper Clinic, the library will also offer Citation-Formation Clinics between March 22 and May 13, in the Spidell Classroom.