Law Week to discuss ‘the intricacies of law school’

The first on-campus event of its kind, Law Week will give students interested in pursuing law the opportunity to speak with judges, lawyers and receive information on applying to law schools.

The three-day law information event begins today at Cal State Long Beach, and takes place on the eve of the new CSULB student-operated law periodical, The Undergraduate Law Review. The publication, started by Associated Students Inc. Attorney General Paxcely Marquez, was created to allow students from diverse backgrounds and disciplines the opportunity to write and publish legal scholarship.

Marquez, who’s presenting Law Week, said via e-mail that the event will offer “undergraduate students further insight on everything they ever wanted to know about law: the intricacies of law school, the importance of studying law and the impact of law in our daily lives.”

The Undergraduate Law Review’s editorial, management, publication and advertising is administered by students, according to Marquez.

“Students from the university and local high schools are encouraged to voice their thoughts on any legal issues of their interest, such as American municipal, state, and national law or international law,” Marquez said.

Articles for the Undergraduate Law Review will be published online and at the end of the academic year. There will also be an awards ceremony for outstanding articles. The first volume of the review will be published May 31 at www.csulblawreview.org.

The event schedule is as follows: On March 22, students will have the opportunity to converse with lawyers and judges about their law school experiences and prospective employment in the field.

On March 23, students will have access law school resources ranging from current law school students to a representative from the UC Irvine School of Law. Students are also invited to take practice LSAT questions after a presentation from Testmasters.

On March 24, students can meet with Southern California judges, lawyers from different fields and CSULB faculty members specializing in law. Food and drinks will be provided and business attire is recommended.

The event will take place in University Student Union Room 205 Monday and Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and the USU Ballrooms from 5-8 p.m.