Students turn out to promote healthy living and lifestyle

Adorning the Friendship walk and Southwest Terrace with blue and white balloons, Cal State Long Beach’s first “Live Your Life” fair focused on suicide prevention through promoting healthy living and a more active lifestyle.

The fair — organized by Associated Students Inc., Project On-Campus Emergency Assistance Network (OCEAN), and Counseling and Psychological Services — brought together on- and off-campus groups to network and promote a healthier lifestyle for students, faculty and staff.

After a video showing him skydiving, surfing and taking a boat trip in search of great white sharks to cage swim with, guest Speaker Jesse Billauer spoke at the USU Ballrooms on Wednesday about the importance of chasing dreams.

The speech was positive, telling students to appreciate everything they have — especially good health.

Billauer discussed how three significant accidents throughout his life have shaped who he is today.

Six months prior to a surfing accident that left him paralyzed, Billauer was involved in a violent car accident that ejected him from the car on Pacific Coast Highway. Billauer said he recovered from his injuries feeling invincible.

Billauer tried wheelchair rugby, which is a contact sport using adapted wheelchairs that prevent players from tipping over. After not feeling comfortable in the provided rugby wheelchair, Billauer opted to participate in his own and subsequently fell and hit his head, aggravating his injury and creating a huge setback in his recovery.

One of the more emotional experiences he talked about was seeing his family cope with what happened. Billauer said that at first his father thought it would be better if he didn’t survive the accident, saying his father feared that his son would have a terrible quality of life.
“You’re here for a reason, don’t let anyone else shape that reason for you,” Billauer said.

Campus organizations participating included Counseling and Psychological Services, HeadSTRONG, the Catholic Newman Club, Club Soccer, Active Minds and University Police.

CAPS representatives present said the event is important because college students are constantly under pressure.

“We’re seeing students struggle with emotional difficulties and academic pressure,” said CAPS staff therapist Juan Contreras.

The WorkAbility Program from Disabled Student Services and the State Department of Rehabilitation shared a table at the event, working together to get their messages out about getting disabled students ready for work.

“[The event] couldn’t be more timely because so many students and staff are under extraordinary stress,” said WorkAbility Program Coordinator Barbara Bradley.

Although suicide prevention was an important part of the event, organizations participating focused on leading healthier lives.

“As you can see, it is not focused on suicide, it’s focused on life,” Bradley said.
Many of the groups were promoting well-being through physical activities.

Men’s Club Soccer attended to let students know that they are looking for more talent to add to their team, and offer potential players an avenue to relieve their stress.

“[W]hen I go out to play soccer, it centers me,” said Club Soccor player Quincey Drayton.
University Police participated in the event promoting the Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) program, which is a class to learn self-defense skills. The class is available for women, and costs a $10 one-time fee.

“We think it’s a valuable opportunity for women in our community to learn defensive techniques,” said Corporal Ami Rzasa.

Reacting to a rise in bike thefts this academic year, Rzasa said that University Police is also attending the event to encourage students to register their bikes with campus police to
increase the likelihood they will get their bike back in the event that it is stolen.

Among the off-campus groups participating were Turning Point Counseling, the Orange County Psychiatric Society, and Pilates by Allison.

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for comments made on www.daily49er.wpengine.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for comments made on this Web site. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech.