ASI candidates meet to debate issues

Associated Students Inc. executive candidates met at the Southwest Terrace Thursday to discuss their campaigns and positions on different Cal State Long Beach policies.

While James Ahumada, the sole ASI presidential candidate, had to leave early due to an exam, vice presidential candidates Lucy Nguyen and Jeff Yutrzenka, and treasurer candidates Jameson Nyeholt and Jason Aula, spoke in front of an audience of less than 10 people, while other students ate their lunch at the tables. The candidates sarcastically mentioned the huge turnout and ASI’s seemingly lack of importance to the CSULB student body.

Moderators Kevin O’Brien, news director of the Union Weekly, and Joanne Tucker, editor in chief of the Daily 49er, asked the candidates a series of questions from raising ASI fees, to budget cuts and why they are running for their position.

The main issue was the statewide budget cuts and how if appointed, the candidates would take action toward upcoming budget cuts. Most commented that there is a high need for students to get involved and stay active in fighting budget cuts.

Vice presidential candidate Yutrzenka, who is a two-term ASI Senator-at-Large said, “We need a unified voice to fight the budget cuts.”

Nyeholt, ASI treasurer candidate and the current senator for the College of Liberal Arts said, “We need students behind ASI.”

Treasurer candidates were also asked about their thoughts on raising ASI fees. Aula said he would be fine with raising fees if students agree and Nyeholt said he would want to take a real good look at why the fees should be increased.

Nguyen said, “Students need to be more educated on budget cuts.”
Aula, who is also president of the Long Beach College Republicans, said he would encourage students to vote.

While Ahumada runs unopposed for president, there has been some controversy over a judicial complaint about slimming down candidates for president.

Initially, the former five candidates filed to be in the president election were Jason Aula, who is now running for treasurer, Avis Atkins, Vice President Omar Gonzalez and Attorney General Paxcely Marques and Ahumada.

It was Aula though that filed the judicial complaint saying ASI is running an unethical election by allowing one candidate to run.

“It’s not a democratic process if only one candidate runs,” Aula said.

According to the ASI board of elections, once a candidate has filed for an election they are not required to stay on until the end. The students who dropped out of the race primarily did so because of a heavy workload or an upcoming graduation, as reported last week by the Daily 49er.

The board reviewed the candidates’ reasons for dropping out and decided that Aula will have to provide more evidence. Until then, Ahumada is still a qualified presidential candidate.

With almost 37,000 students at CSULB, the voting turnout has been around 12 percent. Students can vote starting today until April 15. Elections will be taking place online from any computer.

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for comments made on www.daily49er.wpengine.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for comments made on this Web site. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech.