False claims made by ASI candidate

Jason Aula, currently an Associated Students Inc. treasurer candidate in this year’s election, made false claims on a 2009 application that resulted in a $2,500 scholarship.

Aula said that on the application he claimed to be a senator for the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (CNSM).

However, ASI President Chris Chavez said Aula was never a senator for CNSM. According to Chavez, Aula was appointed by the college’s council, but was “never sworn in,” and therefore never served as a senator for the college.

Aula said, “I was under the assumption I was going to be sworn in. According to my understanding, I was a senator as of January 15th.”

Aula said he sent his application to The Phillips Foundation one or two days before the foundation’s Jan. 15 deadline.

While saying he was never “sworn in” Aula said he did not lie on his application.

Chavez said, ASI usually waits until “the university gives the final go-ahead” before swearing in a senator.

Aula claims he never served because of personal issues. Chavez said he was not at liberty to discuss why Aula was not sworn in.

The Phillips Foundation awarded Aula a 2009-10 Ronald Reagan College Leaders scholarship. He was one of 69 winners listed on the foundation’s Web site.

Aula’s biography, found on the foundation’s Web site, states he is president of the Conservative Student Union, president of Bring Back 49er Football and a senator for the “College of Math and Sciences.” The biography also states that Aula launched a conservative student newspaper, The 76er.

Jeff Hollingsworth, assistant secretary of The Phillips Foundation said that Aula’s claim about his senatorial status on his application would qualify, as long as he either ran for or held the position of senator.

However, Aula has neither ran for nor held a position as senator for ASI, according to Kim Hinckson, assistant director of student involvement and leadership.

Aula ran for ASI vice president in 2008 but lost in a run-off campaign.

As for some of the other positions Aula listed on his application, Mike Jackson, administrative support coordinator for CSULB Student Life and Development, said the university has no record of an organization or club under the name “Bring Back 49er Football.” Jackson, did verify Aula’s presidency of the Conservative Student Union.

Aula said The 76er released three issues but had to be limited to an online version because of financial issues. He could not give the Web site URL because the publication, he says, no longer exists.

According to foundation’s Web site, it awarded $217,000 in “new and renewed scholarships” for the 2009-10 school year. Applicants are encouraged to apply for the scholarship during their sophomore or junior year. The foundation said they prefer sophomore applicants to junior applicants.

In 1999, the foundation started the Future Leaders program, which was was renamed the Ronald Reagan College Leaders program before the 2006-07 school year.

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for comments made on www.daily49er.wpengine.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for comments made on this Web site. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech.