Toyota Grand Prix raises adrenaline over weekend

Combine rubber, asphalt and 90 to 180 degree turns in a racecar and the result is walls of smoke and screaming race fans at the 36th annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (TGPLB).

Brian Austin Green, one of the original actors of the television series “Beverly Hills, 90210,” took first place in the celebrity category. Green battled actor Adrien Brody and defending champion actor Keanu Reeves.

Each racer, equipped with a Scion tC, was not afraid to bump heads with his competitor as many got crushed into turns by racers who refused to give up their lead.

Professional racer Jimmy Vasser won first place overall. The two winners took a victory lap around the racetrack and waved at fans that whistled and cheered.

The six-race Grand Prix weekend brought in an estimated 175,000 people, according to its website.

“The TGPLB is southern Califonia’s number one event for corporate entertainment,” the website stated. “Sponsorships contribute $30 million to the Los Angeles area.”

Long Beach provides the Indy series with America’s number one street race, according to the event’s website.

The Indy racears have 650 horsepower and sit two inches off the ground in order to keep traction with the road. When standing on level ground, the Indy cars are no taller than the track barricades.

“Down force is paramount,” technician inspector Brett Barnhart said.

The next race takes place in Kansas on the first oval race track of the series, providing racers a chance to maintain high speeds.

For all race results, visit the Toyota Grand Prix website at gplb.com/results.html

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for comments made on www.daily49er.wpengine.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for comments made on this Web site. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech.