Local organization plans to raise funds for Fiji Islands

Monique Matautia, a sophomore political science major at Cal State Long Beach, said not many people know about the cyclone that caused Fiji horrendous damage in mid-March.

Matautia, who is a sister of the Long Beach City College sorority Phi Epsilon Lambda Epsilon, said her sorority wanted to help Fiji students who lost school supplies, such as pencils, scantrons and desks, because of the cyclone.

Long Beach City College sorority Phi Epsilon Lambda Epsilon (PELE) will be co-hosting a fundraising event “Fight for Fiji” on April 23 to promote environmental awareness of the destruction Cyclone Tomas caused the Fiji Islands.

The sorority and LBCC fraternity, Tau Omega Alpha, are collaborating with Back Home in Lahaina, a Hawaiian cuisine restaurant in Carson, and will donate 15 percent of the day’s total profits to Young Peoples Concerned Network FIJI, an organization run by Fijian youth.

Cyclone Tomas was a category 4 and had heavy winds that peaked at more than 140 kilometers per hour, according to Fiji Times Online. Three people were killed from the tropical cyclone.

As the only Pacific Island/Oceania sorority at LBCC, Matautia said PELE has a duty to help the students in Fiji.

Matautia said, “PELE understands that missing a final is equivalent to failing a whole semester and [that is why] decided to target these students.”

According to Matautia, Pele is also the goddess of fire in Hawaiian culture. She said it has strong meaning for the sorority and helps give the organization a stronger foundation.

“When you hear the name Pele, you think of respect and women empowerment,” Matautia said.

Back Home in Lahaina is located on 591 E. Carson St. Carson, Calif. For more information, contact PELE by e-mail at [email protected]

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for comments made on www.daily49er.wpengine.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for comments made on this Web site. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech.