Improvisation comes to CSULB

At a Thanksgiving dinner with an old friend, Stefan Agregado got the idea to start an improvisation group at Cal State Long Beach.

Drawing inspiration from the TV show “Whose Line Is It Anyway,” Agregado said he hopes to transform “their shenanigans into something positive.”

Agregado hosted some high school assemblies and participated in theater growing up, but has virtually no experience with improvisation. The rest of the members of the group don’t have much experience with this kind of performance either.

The improvisation group’s official statement is to promote spontaneity, quick-mindedness, laughter, friendship and confidence through improvisational performances.

“We just have a great sense of humor and a willingness to get lost in pointless conversations as characters we make on the spot,” Agregado said in an e-mail. “I think our biggest asset is that we never take ourselves too seriously.”

Members of the improvisation group are involved in stage exercises without any scripts, and must use each other as a means to create stories and situations on the spot in front of an audience.

The group hopes to be a creative outlet for CSULB students.

Agregado said he, “wants to create an outlet for students to express their inner-voice.”

He said not knowing what you are doing while an entire crowd of people is watching is a fear he hopes all members of his group will soon conquer.

Agregado and his small group of friends meet every two weeks to get the set list for games, props and snacks. This group includes Agregado’s roommate, Devin McDaniel, co-worker Victoria Sbouey and friend Catherine Bui.

The group is currently made up of friends but they hope to get many more students involved. Their performance venue is always changing since the group just started less than a month ago. They plan to have set performances in the fall.

The improvisation group plans to host improvisation parties over the summer and get more people involved for the many shows they plan to put on in the fall semester.