Rosa Zeegers instructs how to negotiate across cultures

The College of Business Administration hosted on Tuesday its last Notable Speaker series for the spring semester, featuring Rosa Zeegers. The  event took place in the CBA building with about 40 guests in attendance.

Zeegers is senior vice president in international marketing and consumer products for Mattel brands. She focused her presentation around the theme “Negotiating Across Cultures,” where she integrated her career experiences with insight on how to become an effective negotiator among different cultures.

“Speaking a foreign language does not mean that you understand what they say,” Zeegers said.

According to Zeegers, each culture is different in the way it handles business. Some nations, like those in northern Europe, get right into business. Others, such as Italy, like to engage in ceremonies such as tea-drinking and having dinner before discussing business.

“When your counterpart says ‘let’s get some coffee’ he really says, ‘let’s clear the air [and] refresh the situation,'” Zeegers said.

Zeegers learned this lesson with an Italian counterpart after several failed attempts to engage him in an advertising campaign. She said that after a lengthy 12-course meal he finally agreed.

When asked what changed his mind, he said “it’s because you make the effort.”

According to Zeegers, she aquired these skills with the help of consultants and professors. They taught her that “to do business in foreign cultures you have to get insight in their value system,” she said.

Zeegers said each culture gives significance to five different types of life values.

The first one ­— power dimension, depends on how much hierarchy is needed and if superiors are accessible.

The second value is individualism, where countries like the U.S. value obligations to one-self. Whereas countries, such as Italy, believe relationships have priorities over tasks.

Third is religious dynamism, where cultures that are polytheistic tend to be more pragmatic and create long-term orientations.

Fourth is the value of masculinity; in some countries it means that big and fast things are beautiful, but are also very ambitious and polarized. Whereas, in other countries the contexts for masculinity ranks low as opposed to quality of life, which is a top priority.

Lastly, there is the uncertainty avoidance value, which means that some countries believe hard work and education is essential for survival in society.

Zeegers ended her presentation by warning audience members to always double check the agreements that they make, “Never assume you are understood.”

Josuè Martinez, senior international business major, said he thought the presentation was very informative and liked how it covered many regions in the world.

“It reinforces what I’ve been learning. [In the end,] your dealing with human beings,” he said.

Nisha Samtani, who is enrolled in the Accelerated Masters in Business Administration program, said that Zeegers was “helpful about how to deal with a different culture.”

Being from India, Samtani said she could relate to Zeegers in that they are both foreigners.

“Even though you know English you don’t understand the culture,” Samtani said.

CBA Dean Michael Solt said that the whole concept for a Notable Speaker Series began early in the semester while he was having coffee with two alumni at Starbucks. The Notable Speaker Series averaged out about 1000 guests overall, Solt said.

“We’ve hit a good foundation,” Solt said.