Freshmen dorm requirement in effect

Starting fall 2010, Cal State Long Beach will require incoming freshmen to live in on-campus residential halls, while some will be exempt from the requirement.

The university has received less than 20 exemption applications since they became available on March 1, according to Carol Roberts-Corb, director of Housing and Residential Life.

Since the new student priority application period ended on May 1, the housing office has received 2,831 housing applications in all, with 2,226 active applications, which are defined as those who have made the initial payment. The housing office expects all 2,486 spaces to be filled next year, while Roberts-Corb anticipates that there may be a waiting list.

The Freshmen Residential Requirement, which was reported by Associated Students Inc. last December, is a policy created by the university that seeks to enhance the college experience for all incoming freshmen, according to ASI President Chris Chavez. He said the university hopes to shed CSULB’s image as a commuter campus.

University officials said the new policy will offer many advantages to freshmen including greater psychosocial development, higher graduation rates, greater education aspiration and greater satisfaction with their overall college experience.

“We have a philosophy that this will encourage new students to succeed both academically and professionally,” Roberts-Corb said.

However, some concerns have been raised about the effect the requirement will have on students with special circumstances and those who cannot afford to live on campus.

The university’s solution to the problem is providing an exemption policy from the requirement. Those exempted from the requirement include students more than 21 years old as of August 28, 2010 and those living with their parents.

Students who also meet exemption criteria include those who have active military or veteran’s status, are married or with dependent children, declared an independent student for two years, or are part-time students.

Students can also present other matters that prove a substantial personal hardship to be considered for exemption.

Though some have questioned the policy, incoming freshman biology major Caylen McDonald said the requirement didn’t influence her decision to live in the residential halls.

“I’ve pretty much always planned on living in the dorms,” McDonald said. “I look forward to the experience of living away from home and with a roommate. It’s just something different from the other 18 years in your life.”

McDonald has already turned in her housing application and said that all other incoming CSULB freshmen she knows have applied as well. She also revealed that she was unaware of the university’s reputation of being a “commuter campus.”

Although the requirement does not guarantee housing for all freshmen, its attempt to revitalize the image of CSULB and to improve the experience of students is recognized by the university and is seemingly off to a good start.

“This is a positive thing for students and it’s a positive thing for the campus,” Roberts-Corb said.

Room fees are to stay the same next year at about $10,050 for a double room and 12-meal plan for new students.

New meal plans have been added with increased fees, but Roberts-Corb said that it is of no real consequence since students can select the plan that best fits their needs financially.